We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

I need some advise. We will come in on the train from Cardiff on a Friday about noon. We need to go to Richmond - 10 Temple Sheen. I have been told that a taxi would be too expensive and I should take the tube, District Line, to either Richmond or East Putney and then take a taxi. I know we will each have a medium size suitcase and a shoulder bag. I can't tell, but it looks like I will have to change at Earls Court stop. With that much luggage we couldn't manage stairs or escalators and would not want to try to transfer.

Is anyone familiar with this particular trip and could you advise me on the best way to proceed. Personally, taking a taxi seems so much easier.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

There are stairs at Paddington from the rail concourse to the District line to Earl's Court station. The change at Earl's Court is a matter of alighting from one train, crossing the platform and stepping on to another train, so that's an easy thing to do.

You may wish to splurge on a taxi from Paddington to Earl's Court station. Using the Earl's Court Road way in you will find a ramp (or seven shallow steps) down from street level to the ticket hall, then a 75m walk to the midplatform lifts down to the westbound District line platforms for the train to Richmond. After passing through the barriers you will see to the right the gantry walkway along the perimeter of the station - there is a turning in the walkway to the lifts, it's not a long hike.

Richmond station has lifts from platforms to ticket hall and street level.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

The change at Earls Court is very easy - on the level and doesn't require changing platforms.

But you can't get onto the District Line at Paddington without stairs - so it sounds as though that's ruled out and a taxi thus the only way unless you want a very slow bus ride

A better route from Cardiff from an access point of view would have been to change at Reading (lifts between platforms) for a train to Richmond

London
Level Contributor
9,154 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

The easiest route is to get off the train from Cardiff at Reading, and change there for the train to Waterloo (which calls at Richmond).

However... Have you already bought a ticket and is it an 'advance' type ticket? If it is, you can't (legally) change your itinerary.

Texas
Level Contributor
147 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

I should have asked for help before purchasing a ticket. We are committed to Paddington.

So I guess I will need a taxi. Thanks for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

Unless you very much want to, you need not take a taxi to Richmond. The walk from the entrance to the platforms at Earl's Court station is easy to do with bags in tow, step free with a small bit of effort, as the gantry walkway to the lifts is on the flat.

You know your tolerance for wrangling luggage best, but a small effort will save pounds.

London
Level Contributor
715 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

May I just check whether your destination is a private house (as the address you've given indicates) or are you actually going to 10 *West* Temple Sheen, The Victoria gastro pub/hotel? They are two separate streets.

In either case, you're heading for East Sheen, rather than Richmond, should you get a taxi.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,188 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

The nearest railway station is Mortlake from Waterloo. But it is a right fiddle from Paddington. I'd get to Richmond by tube and then a taxi (there are usually some outside the station).

8. Re: Travel advise from London Paddington to Richmond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 06:18