We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve in London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New Year's Eve in London

Hi people,

I have just booked a Thames cruise for new year in London, has anyone ever been on one of these cruises before?

Also have a booked a hotel for the night but it's about 8 miles out ( ilford ) what are my chances of getting trains around 2-2.30am?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Eve in London

As far as I'm aware there won't be any trains to Ilford running at that time. However, the tubes do usually run all night (and for free) on New Year's Eve - that hasn't been announced for this year yet, but probably will be during December. Night buses will also be running.

I would suggest that you take the tube to Stratford and then pick up the number 25 bus to Ilford from there.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Eve in London

The N25 goes to Ilford, and buses usually run all night on NYE.

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Eve in London

Great thanks for the info...I don't mind if it takes a little while to get back as long as we do get back! Haha! Do you know how frequent the buses will be?

Also planning on visiting winter wonderland at Hyde park during the day? Anyone been there before? Is it best to pre book tickets or can you just turn up?

Thanks.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,474 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Eve in London

Bus timetables can be found on the TFL website.

You don't need tickets for Winter Wonderland unless you want to skate there, the skating is popular, so book in advance, they have timed slots though.

Otherwise IMO it is not worthwhile to visit, unless you like naff, ersatz, expensive "Continental Style" tat markets and fairground rides, but it does not hurt to "wander" for half an hour or so and make up your own mind....

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,436 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Eve in London

There MAY (I repeat, MAY) be all-night trains from Liverpool Street to Ilford on New Year's Eve night.

There will certainly be Central Line trains to Gants Hill.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Eve in London

It's worth mentioning that you should allow yourselves plenty of time to get to the pier your cruise is departing from. Depending on which pier that is you could be faced with trying to navigate through large crowds, and some areas down by the river may be cordoned off by the police by about 8pm-9pm.

I seem to recall a poster from last year who missed their boat for exactly the reason they didn't allow enough time, they were not happy.

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Eve in London

Our boat trip boards at 8.30pm and they say to be there an hour before. We were planning on arriving at our hotel in ilford around 2pm, putting our stuff in the room then head out into london to have a wander round the winter wonder land in Hyde park, our boat leaves from westminster pier...is it better to walk from Hyde park or get a tube ? As you can probably tell I don't live in a big city so any help is much appreciated as I wouldn't want to miss the boat :)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,835 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Eve in London

Tubes and buses will be very busy in the Westminster area around that time so walking is certainly an option. www.walkit.com is a really useful resource; it suggests that the walk should take around 30 minutes at a medium pace.

Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Eve in London

After a discussion with my partner we have now cancelled our hotel in ilford and gone for one in acton instead. The location seems a little more convenient. Apart from Hyde park does anyone know of any thing going on during the day New Year's Eve or New Year's Day?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Eve in London

There's a list here of attractions which are open on New Year's Day: timeout.com/london/things-to-do/things-to-do…

And I believe there's also a New Year's Day parade in central London as well.