We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving - park and ride or similar?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northants
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving - park and ride or similar?

Hello!

I'd like to bring my family to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park this year.

We're on a super tight budget and to train it in will cost us over £150. We can drive down but don't want to drive anywhere near the centre.

Is there anywhere we can drive to and then use public transport into the centre?

We will be coming from Kettering in Northamptonshire.

Many Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,270 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

What day of the week are you planning to travel? I put a random December day into the National Rail website and was finding advance singles from Kettering to London as low as £7 (or £14 return). When you consider the cost of tube fares to/from your parking location and the cost of petrol to drive, you may be better off by rail.

If you insist on driving, from Kettering, you could drive over to the M11 and then park near one of the central line stations in east London/Essex. Almost all the outer stations have car parks and you can get the tube straight to Marble Arch or Lancaster Gate for Hyde Park. But these car parks tend to get parked up with commuters on weekday mornings, so it really depends when you're planning to travel.

Northants
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

Hi!

Thank you so much for your reply. We were hoping to come either on a Saturday or Sunday, Saturday preferably but can so a Sunday.

I have no idea how you're finding train tickets so cheaply!! I tried a Saturday in December 2 adults, 3 kids and it was £159 and I just tried a Thursday and it was over £200!

What am I doing wrong?!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

It depends what times you can travel.There are group Advance fares for as little as £35 each way for all 5. Given petrol and parking costs it may be worth looking at the national rail,site (not sure this link will work):

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

If you drive I would get down the M1, you should be able to park in Edgware or Hendon and tube from there.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,390 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

What are the ages in your group? Have you been to Hyde Park's Winter Wonderland before?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

You need to experiment with times, cheapest i can see at reasonable times are £101 return , out at 0826 back at 2000. You can get cheaper but it means trains at 7am and the like.

London
Level Contributor
9,111 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

I think EastMidlandsTrains participate in Groupsave - which means you all travel for the price of two adults. Available at any time at weekends.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

If you end up deciding to drive ( taking the train would be so much simpler if you can find a good price ) then Cockfosters station at the end of the Piccadilly line which can be accessed from J24 on the M25 is one more possible. But then you have tube fares , a one day travel card, from Zone 6 of the London Underground and 30 minutes to get to Hyde Park tube station. About £9 per adult and the station car park will be close to the same price for the day.

A train to Kings X or St Pancras or Euston would make life a lot easier

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

Its generally a lot cheaper to drive to Bedford and take an FCC train from there rather than getting the train from Kettering or Wellingborough.

If you drive all the way I would park at Stanmore, parking is only £1.50 on the weekend

9. Re: Driving - park and ride or similar?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:17