We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

I have an overnight in London coming up later this month - arriving to Stansted at around 11pm, leaving from Gatwick at 10:30 the next morning. I think the best thing to do is take the National Express bus to Victoria Station that night, then take the Gatwick Express the next morning.

I have 2 questions for London insiders - I know that there are many small hotels near Victoria Station, but will my late night arrival time be a problem for getting a room? I'm estimating I'll arrive around 1am at night. Also, is the area around Victoria Station safe to walk around at that hour of night? I won't have much luggage but I am a youngish woman and will be alone.

Any suggestions? I had hoped to find a simple room for no more than about 90 pounds a night, but I'd be willing to pay more for something really close to the station.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

Hello - someone else will have to help you with the hotels, but I would say catch a taxi at Victoria Station to take you to the hotel. I wouldn't go walking around anywhere in London at 1 AM. Good luck.

Toronto ON
Level Contributor
677 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

The Thistle Victoria is attached to Victoria Station and is on Buckingham Palace Road.. It isn't Thistle's best but its just fine for one night. Three star standards. Single rooms are about 90 pounds. www.'thistle.com

On the other side of Victoria Station, on Vauxhall Bridge Road, the Victoria Park Plaza is a better hotel and is air conditioned. Weekends are cheaper than weekdays but a room will cost somewhere between 100 and 125 pounds in July/August. Rates tend to rise in September. www.parkplaza.com.

For the sake of one night I wouldn't go hotel shopping all over London.

Have a great trip.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

katacha: Instead of traveling by bus late at night, why don't you stay at the Radison SAS at Stansted and then take the train and/or bus early the next morning?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

LeeB's suggestion makes a certain amount of sense.

You could then take the Stansted Express as far as Tottenham Hale in the morning which is also on the Victoria line - this would then be a simple connection through to Victoria station to get the Gatwick Express.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

The later idea is a good one but it sounds like The Radisson might be a tad on the expensive side for katacha.

Having said that I am not sure the cheaper B&B will be open at that time of the morning so if you do head for central London I would suggest The Park Plaza, The Thistle Victoria or The Hesperia whch are all within a stones throw of the station and are all full service hotels.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

The later idea is a good one but it sounds like The Radisson might be a tad on the expensive side for katacha.

Having said that I am not sure the cheaper B&B will be open at that time of the morning so if you do head for central London I would suggest The Park Plaza, The Thistle Victoria or The Hesperia whch are all within a stones throw of the station and are all full service hotels.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

A big thanks to everyone who responded. Unfortunately, the Victoria Park Palace and the Thistle were already booked (that's what I get for not planning this a little earlier), but I started emailing the smaller hotels in the vicinity and both the Lime Tree and the Lynton said there was no problem with the late arrival.

The Lime Tree was about 80 pounds and the Lynton was 50 (for a single, shared bath), and the Lynton had a good review or 2 here, so I went with it. Will share my experience when I return!

I decided to go to Victoria rather than stay near Stansted mainly b/c I'm always paranoid about making it to the airport on time. I like the idea of being right near the Gatwick Express, which is what I'm taking into London on the first leg of my trip (the late night arrival is actually my return trip). Also, I was thinking that I'd be less likely to run into traffic by taking the coach at night.

Again, I'll let you know how it goes when I get back. Thanks again!

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
17 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

Oops - I meant to say Victoria Park *Plaza*, not Park Palace!

9. Re: Hotel in Belgravia area -late night arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 01:17