We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Hi - can you please tell me what the do's and don'ts are at a football match. We are Kiwis and wonder if you are allowed to bring drinks, food, backpacks etc into the football ground. Don't want to be turned away at the gates. Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Your backpacks will be searched, and anything deemed dangerous will be confiscated. Food (sandwiches in a bag, crisps, etc) should be fine. Glass bottles are a no no, and aluminum cans could be a problem. Plastic bottles should be ok.

Some clubs may take a dislike to bringing food and drink in, preferring that you buy it there. In the recent cases where I've been to games (Crystal Palace, once or twice a year) I can't comment as we get tickets with access to a bar inside the ground and so drink (and eat) there.

The other thing is to dress neutral or in the colors of the team whose area you've got tickets for. You could be barred from entering the ground if you're seen or suspected to be a supporter of the other team. So if you're say Man Utd fans who have bought tickets through Chelsea, do not wear your replica MU shirt with "Rooney" on the back, and keep schtum if your team scores!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Thanks - yes we would have travelled 12,000 to see the games and don't want to get kicked out.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Plastic bottles should be ok.

-------

Not always, sometimes they confiscate the tops. Bring another top if that will be an issue for you. You will probably also find backpacks quite inconvenient, they will either have to go in front of you or under your seat where room is limited so don't take big hiking backpacks (which may not be allowed) , and the floor could get wet from spilled drinks. I would try to avoid bringing one if you can.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

If you have kids or have a dislike of strong language, definitely book tickets for the family area.

One of the true joys of an English football match is a hot pie on a cold day, so consider supplementing your packed lunch in this way. There may be long queues though - but it has to be done.

Can you clarify the size of your party, which game you're off to and who you'll be supporting ?

Mike

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,835 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

It's not just the tops. Wembley and the Etihad in Manchester both confiscate plastic bottles and the former have no interest in you saying that you need water for medicinal purposes. There are free water refill taps in the ground but you have to queue at the bars to ask for a plastic glass. You couldn't make it up.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Check on the website of the stadium you're visiting, they'll all have a section on rules for visiting the ground and as seen above, it can differ. Seat spaces are invariably tiny so big bags are a no, I've taken a small daysack into many premiership grounds though, along with plastic bottles of coke.

I'll reinforce the view that queues are a problem and many people eat before the game, or save the appetite for a post match meal at a local restaurant.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Well at least they don't confiscate balloons at Wembley!

Adam, I owe you a pint for that. :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

I have attended hundreds of football matches and have never felt the need to take food or drink to a game. Do allow yourself plenty of time to get through the turnstiles and to your seat, most fans enter the ground in the 20 minutes before kick-off. Be prepared for people standing, not sitting, for large portions of the game. Be prepared for just how seriously the fans take the game and respect their devotion, objectivity is not always appreciated by a supporter. By all means take photos but remember you're there to watch the football. If you're buying food/drink at half-time be prepared for long queues unless you miss the last couple of minutes of the first half. Do go to a pub before/after the game. Buy a programme so you know who all the players are.

UK
Level Contributor
3,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

To echo the comment in Post 4 - my OH took my NZ relatives to a West Ham v Everton match a couple of years ago and said, because of the children with them, he cringed at the language used by some of the supporters. It was something he had got used to over the years and usually doesn't notice when he goes with his mates!

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

I agree about going to a pub before the game. I think you are going to Sheffield, which has some great pubs, starting with the bar on the station ! Nottingham is good too, and "Ye Olde Trip" under the castle is one of those places that you simply have to have a pint in.

A word of warning though. Leeds fans are sometimes described as, shall we say, "lively" on their awaydays, and as a result you may find that certain pubs in both towns will be designated for home fans only. For the South Yorkshire derby, I wouldn't be wearing a Leeds shirt around town.

Mike