We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Hi - can you please tell me what the do's and don'ts are at a football match. We are Kiwis and wonder if you are allowed to bring drinks, food, backpacks etc into the football ground. Don't want to be turned away at the gates. Thanks

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

I have been watching football for the past 40 years all over Europe ,but especially in Manchester .The basics turn 20 minutes before the game,be prepared to be treated like a criminal by the police and stewards of the next couple of hours,don't buy any food or drink at the ground ,poor quality and expensive,watch the game ,then after the game go for something to eat ,in a place of your choice.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Do some research and consider carefully where in the ground you purchase tickets for.

From previous posts, it seems that your husband is a Leeds United fan, that the matches you want to go to are at Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest and that you intend buying tickets in the home areas of the ground?

Be aware that simply being an 'away' supporter in a part of the ground not designated for away supporters is sufficient cause to be thrown out of the stadium.

I have attended games as an away supporter in home sections - I find it easy enough to keep quiet and smile on the inside when my team score and stand and politely clap when the other team score. Again, depending on the area of the ground you are in, you will have to put up with 90 minutes of the people around you directing abuse at the Leeds players and the Leeds fans. Whilst English football is somewhat less violently tribal than 30 years ago when I started attending matches, it is still tribal and being an away fan in a home section would be identified by many as a provocation. The matches that you want to see will be more passionate than the average - one Yorkshire derby and one match between teams in close proximity with large support base, both in contention for top of the table places. It is not going to be the case that friendly banter with those around you will be in any way advisable. Whilst I wouldn't want to give you the impression that everyone will want to beat you (and probably, especially with Kiwi accents, you could get away with it) it does only take one drunken idiot to get your husband a punch in the face and you both ejected from the ground.

In short, you will probably want tickets in the main stand area (which will be the more expensive ones). Avoid being behind the goal or adjacent to where the away fans will be seated (the latter position especially these days tends to attract wannabe hooligans). Don't wear any Leeds colours and keep as low profile as possible.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

You've made a good start by not calling it 'soccer', unlike most Kiwis I know. So, points for that one.

Meat pies are probably better in NZ, so only try if there's not a huge queue.

London, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Assumed on my previous post that you were attending London games as a tourist. Leeds fan in the home end at Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest will be interesting! Wednesday fans loathe Leeds and Forest will be pretty similar. In order to remain in the ground unscathed you will need to show total respect towards the home teams and not display any affinity towards Leeds unless you are completely comfortable with those around you. Good luck. I understand that Leeds have a lot of restrictions on whom can buy their away tickets. I might try contacting the club directly to see if they can make an exception for foreign visitors but I'm not sure you'd have any luck. Loads of good pubs in Sheffield and Nottingham. In Sheffield I'd head to Division/West St and then get tram to Hillsborough. Less familiar with Nottingham.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,156 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

As a general rule of thumb it's probably best to turn up as uncluttered as possible. I am guessing the idea of a backpack is to carry all your food and drinks etc ? Even if they are allowed into the ground ( it varies from one ground to another, and also on the teams involved ), you will be causing a delay at the turnstiles while the items are searched. Folk queuing behind you may not appreciate that. I know I wouldn't.

In all seriousness there will be ample opportunity to eat and drink before and after the match so it's really just a case of going without for about 2 hours in total. The seats are often cramped and if it's a good game there is every chance that people all around you will be jumping up and down quite frequently, so you, your backpack and provisions are likely to be shaken and stirred.

Enjoy the game, soak up the atmosphere and save the picnic for another time and occasion ;-)

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Would the OP not get more useful local insight by posting this question in the forums for the locations where the matches are taking place?

Sydney, Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

+1 am also having trouble finding matches in the areas i'm going to be around, plus getting tickets.

Is there some type of aggregator, similar to skyscanner for flights?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Thanks for all your help its great. The Leeds supporter husband is going to have to behave himself LOL. This is going to be fun at the first game we go to Leeds v Notting Forest at Nottingham and Nottingham are my team. We just can't wait to get to a match. As we were travelling up for the day from London that is why I asked about the backpack but we will rethink that now to make the whole process easier.

Davo as for tickets we are registering ourselves on the websites for the home team we are going to see so we can buy tickets online - they release the tickets 2 weeks before the game. Good luck to you also.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,205 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Davo1111,

"+1 am also having trouble finding matches in the areas i'm going to be around, plus getting tickets. - Is there some type of aggregator, similar to skyscanner for flights?"

Answer is NO. Football tickets are heavily regulated, and only the clubs and certain licensed agencies are allowed to sell them. The "secondary market" for football tickets is illegal, because of security/violence concerns.

Where are you "going to be around" and when? If it's not in London then I'd suggest you post on the forum of the city(ies) you plan to be. Or check the BBC Sport website which has all fixtures listed.

If in London then here's a schedule of football matches in London. It's up to date, exempt the FA Cup 2nd round whose draw was made Sunday - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k66004…

Edited: 11 November 2013, 07:38
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: The Do's and Don'ts at a Football Match

Thanks for that spreadsheet thats fantastic. We may be able to catch a few more games whilst in London. You are so helpful.