We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

St. Paul's Bay...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

I will be travelling to London next December and will be landing at Heathrow Airport terminal 4. Will I be able to purchase a day ticket to London from that terminal, or should I purchase it online beforehand?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,126 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
511 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

Yes you can buy it there and then

If you buy it online you will have to pay megabucks for postage and you risk it getting lost in the post

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

You will indeed be able to buy a one day travelcard from the tube station at T4.

BUT, whether that's the best thing to do will depend on (a) day (date would help too) and time of arrival, (b) how many in your party, (c) how long you plan to stay in London, and (d) where you plan to stay.

So please let us know more information about your plans.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,778 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

Yes. If its a one day travel-card that you want then you can buy it from the ticket machines at the Heathrow Underground station or queue at the ticket window for an assistant to sell you one in person.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 20:47
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

"If you buy it online you will have to pay megabucks for postage and you risk it getting lost in the post."

Really? That's never happened to me, and I have purchased my travelcards online with postage for the past 5 years.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

"If you buy it online you will have to pay megabucks for postage and you risk it getting lost in the post."

Really? That's never happened to me, and I have purchased my travelcards online with postage for the past 5 years.

========

Which never happened?

Paying megabucks for postage? You certainly pay a lot by comparison with spend, especially for a one day card.

Risking it being lost in the post? Every time you have something posted there is a risk it will be lost.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,364 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

"Really? That's never happened to me, and I have purchased my travelcards online with postage for the past 5 years."

If you've visited London regularly over the last 5 years you really shouldn't be doing that. Get an Oyster Card (a real one not a Visitor card) and keep it. You have the freedom of PAYG and seven day travelcards, so you'd never pay more than paper travelcards let alone the postage or risk of them being lost.

Plus, if there's unused PAYG left on your card, no worries. Next time you visit London the balance is still there and you can use it.

There is NO value in pre-ordering any travelcards or Oysters. Get them when you arrive in London.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

<<Really? That's never happened to me, and I have purchased my travelcards online with postage for the past 5 years.??

So where do you get your travelcards from? Even in the UK I think it's a minimum of £2.75 postage and overseas can be almost as much as the cost of a travelcard - more if you choose a premium option.

St. Paul's Bay...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

I will be staying for 8 days, but only need a one-day travelcard to get to London, from where I will then purchase the 7-day card for the rest of the trip

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

You can buy a single ticket for £5.50. A 1 Day Travelcard from LHR will cost £15.80 (anytime) or, if you're travelling after 09.30hrs (or any time weekend), it'll cost you £8.50.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying a tube ticket from Heathrow airport

I'm travelling to London Dec. 13th, 2013 flying into Heathrow, staying in Kensington Forum district, two persons travelling together, departing the 19th via Eurostar. (not airport)

Based on online research, I'm thinking the 7 day Travelcard. Peak or Off peak?

What's most economical?

Separate transportation from airport to hotel? purchase oyster or travelcard?

Typical tourist so I probably won't need all zones?

any advise would be great.