We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
R S
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

I've been looking in to the visitor oyster card for London Transport. After shipping and card fees, it actually doesn't seem like much of a deal. Does anyone have experience with it, or have any suggestions?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

just buy a regular oyster card when you get here

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,401 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

There are only disadvantages to the Visitor Oyster card. I can't think of any reason it makes sense.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

Never by a Travelcard or Oyster in advance.

Visitor Oyster can only hold PAYG (no Travelcards) and there's a fee to buy it (rather than a refundable deposit with the standard version) but I think the card makes a nice momento/souvenir so I'm not as hard on it as some people. I have one for my guests.

NZ
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

It depends! It depends on how often you think you will use public transport and how long you are going to be there. Most things are surprisingly walkable if you are staying in central London and you see so much more when you walk. Saying that we borrowed someone's Oyster card but didn't use it for the first few days (we were only there six days) and when we did use it the price difference from our other friends who paid cash and us who used the card was at least half the price. We also used the Hop On/Off bus (48 hrs) for the first two days and used that as often as we could. Hope this helps.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,401 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

Post 4 is comparing having an Oyster to paying cash fares, not buying a Visitor Oyster card versus buying one once you get to London.

Cash fares are eye-wateringly expensive, but the Visitor Oyster is definitely more expensive than the Oyster that any visitor to London can purchase upon arrival. There are no separate cards for residents and tourists.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

>... but the Visitor Oyster is definitely more expensive than the Oyster that any visitor to London can purchase upon arrival.

Single bus fare with Visitor Oyster is £1.40. Single bus fare with standard Oyster is £1.40. Single off-peak fare from Heathrow to the city centre with Visitor Oyster is £3.00. Single off-peak fare from Heathrow to the city centre with standard Oyster is £3.00. Find me any fare where the Visitor Oyster is more expensive.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

Find me any fare where the Visitor Oyster is more expensive.

=====

Its £3 more expensive for all trips in totality.

Its also more expensive for longer stays, since you cannot put travelcards on it so you have to rely on daily PAYG capping which is more expensive above a certain limit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

Indeed. It is £3 more expensive in total (it having a flat fee). And many people will happily queue on their departure from London to reclaim their £5 deposit on a standard Oyster.

In my amazing trip report of last September (tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k575…) I used PAYG for a week and saved over the equivalent 7 Day Travelcard. That was the report where the London Pass worked for me.

My point is that what is that individual visitors have individual needs and blanket statements such as "there are only disadvantages to the Visitor Oyster card" are unhelpful.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

OK so a visitor card has one single advantage over a normal one - for the fee of £3 you can save queuing up to get your deposit back at the end of your trip

I'm underwhelmed.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,473 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: VIsitor Oyster Card. Worth it?

The picture on the card is pretty