We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed itinerary for London trip

georgia
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed itinerary for London trip

So I am meeting my husband and 16yr old son in London for a week. We will be there from 22 Nov and fly out again on the 29th of Nov. I have been doing my research, reading a lot of the forums and also the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide from 2014. So I figured I would throw my itinerary out there and see if anyone has any suggestions. We dont really have an interest in seeing the National Gallery so thats why it isnt on here. Let me know if anyone has any other recommendations or suggestions.

Day 1 (22 Nov Friday)

Arrive, check in about 2pm, get cash from ATMs, get an oyster card for the tube, pick up any groceries, explore the area, find somewhere for dinner, maybe hop on hop off is a good option for this day

Day 2 (23 Nov Saturday)

Big Ben

Houses of Parliament

The Jewel Tower

Westminster Abbey

Churchill Cabinet War Rooms

Horseguard Parade (11 or 4pm)

Day 3 (24 Nov Sunday)

Royal Mews

Buckingham Palace

•Changing of the Guard 1130

Fortnum and Mason

Trafalgar Square

Chinatown

Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square for discount theater tickets

Day 4 (25 Nov Monday)

Tower of London

Tower Bridge

St. Pauls Cathedral

Shakespeare’s Globe Theater

The London Dungeon (if we get discount tickets and time permits)

London Eye

Day 5 (26 Nov Tuesday)

Chelsea Football Club tour

National History Museum

Victoria and Albert Museum (dont really need to see it, but if time permits)

Harrods

Day 6 (27 Nov Wednesday)

Day trip Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor, Lacock **Tickets already bought**

Day 7 (28 Nov Thursday)

Portobello Road Market

1230 Afternoon tea at Brown’s Hotel (reservations already made)

The Piazza and Central Market in Covent Garden

Theater: Spamalot (husband and son's choice)

Day 8 (29 Nov Friday)

Check out of hotel, go to airport, fly home

Mentioned in this post
Lacock
Lacock
Wiltshire, UK
Jack the Ripper Museum
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Sutton House
Historic Sites, History Museums
Vintners' Hall
History Museums
The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Talcahuano, Chile
Level Contributor
701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

Do you intend to go into the attractions or just see/take photos from outside?

Because if you intend to go inside, it looks really packed.

London
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

Day 4 is very busy if you are intending to even just go into a couple of those attractions. Day 2 could be quite busy too dependings how much you are intending to go in places. Generally looks ok and you've grouped attractions together very well! Where are you staying, I assume it's very central?

Remember it will be getting dark about 4 and be completely dark by just after 4.30pm.

I personally wouldn't bother with London Dungeons.

Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

There isn't a National History museum - I suspect you mean Natural History. Dinosaurs and suchlike.

The Tower of London can take maybe four hours. On the same day you could also look at Tower Bridge and the outside of both The Globe & St Paul's, then do an evening trip on London Eye to see London at night - but it's a very crowded itinerary that day.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

>>>Day trip Stonehenge, Bath, Windsor, Lacock **Tickets already bought**

It looked a wonderful plan until I got to day 6.

You will spend hours on the coach and get about an hour or so each in Windsor, Bath and Lacock, and about half an hour at Stonehenge.

Mentioned in this post
Lacock
Lacock
Wiltshire, UK
East Haddam...
Level Contributor
586 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

That's sounds awesome.... but exhausting you might need a vacation from your vacation

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,231 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

I won't repeat but essentially there is probably too much to achieve. So your best bet is to triage it so you have a must do/nice to do/can be dropped list for each day.

One thing - you say ticket booth on Sunday 24 Nov. This is quite a limited day for theatre although there are some matinee performances around 5pm. So you might want to do a theatre trip another day.And I would suggest getting to the tkts booth early rather than late whichever day you visit.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,036 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

That is absolutely staggering. Wow. In a long weekend, 4 days we managed St Pauls, the Tower, the monument, Trafalgar square and national gallery, one theatre trip, Fortnum and masons, Harrods and a bit of shopping and a bit of sightseeing of London itself. We didn't really have any time to spare.

Good Luck.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,448 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

I wouldn't recommend the London Dungeons at this time of year, you get quite wet during the ride. Of course you can by pass that part but then you will miss out on a part of the attraction.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

Hello there,

Sounds like you've done a lot of research, but I do suspect you are cramming in too much. That's OK, you can put a star next to the key thing each day and perhaps just let some of the lesser things go.

About Parliament -- you do need to book a tour and the days and times are limited. They don't offer tours to non-UK people when the legislators are in session. Here is one link to info: parliament.uk/visiting/…

I really enjoyed touring the Houses (or "Palace of Westminster"), but it does take time. If I had to choose, I would pick Westminster Abbey as a must see.

But I do highly recommend the Cabinet War Rooms. It will take a minimum of two hours, and is so fascinating, that it would probably take 3 or more hours. Also, the Horseguards Parade is great!

You will probably enjoy your daytrip -- personally, I enjoy just looking out the window in a new place, so even though you will spend time on your bus or coach, you will also see a lot!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed itinerary for London trip

You appear to have missed the possibility of 241 deals, getting two of you in for half price at several of the places you mentioned. See the two stickies on 241 above top rightish.

As everyone else says, you simply have far too much in there to make it practical unless you clock watch and leave places on a schedule and even then some days aren't really doable.

I personally would skip CotG and Dungeons.