I am planning a solo trip to London, UK from the USA in 2014. Probably in mid September. It would be a Thursday through Tuesday. I wanted some advice from those that have either lived there or visited there, as it has been 23 years since I was there and that was only for 2 days as part of a tour group.
- Is that a good time of the year to visit?
- I was looking at staying at the London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch at 134 George Street London, United Kingdom W1H 5DN. I am a regular Marriott customer, and was planning to pay for my stay with reward points. Has anyone stayed there? How was it? Is it in a good location for seeing the sites and such?
- I have read/seen a lot of advise by so called travel experts on what not to wear when travelling in Europe. A lot of people say that you should not wear denim jeans, sneakers (trainers), tee shirts or shorts. What is the reality? Are they acceptable or not for everyday walking around?
- What sites would you suggest I visit? I am into museums and historical sites. I also like the unusual. I am currently thinking of The British Museum, The Tower of London, The Sherlock Holmes Museum, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Palace, Imperial War Museum, Hunterian Museum. I plan to either walk or take public transit. I have no plans to rent a car. Is this too much for my allotted time? Anywhere else you think I would like?
- I am also thinking of taking in one or more shows in the West End while I am there. Looking ahead on the internet, I see Jersey Boys, Wicked, The Book of Mormon and a few others.
- When travelling I try to stay away from chain restaurants, that I could eat at while at home. I like to try the local fare. It doesn't have to be fancy. I'm pretty open to trying all sorts of foods and/or drinks. Any suggestions for restaurants or pubs?
Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions and/or advice.Edited: 14 November 2013, 20:22