We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London solo trip in Sept. 2014

Springfield...
Level Contributor
33 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
London solo trip in Sept. 2014

I am planning a solo trip to London, UK from the USA in 2014. Probably in mid September. It would be a Thursday through Tuesday. I wanted some advice from those that have either lived there or visited there, as it has been 23 years since I was there and that was only for 2 days as part of a tour group.

- Is that a good time of the year to visit?

- I was looking at staying at the London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch at 134 George Street London, United Kingdom W1H 5DN. I am a regular Marriott customer, and was planning to pay for my stay with reward points. Has anyone stayed there? How was it? Is it in a good location for seeing the sites and such?

- I have read/seen a lot of advise by so called travel experts on what not to wear when travelling in Europe. A lot of people say that you should not wear denim jeans, sneakers (trainers), tee shirts or shorts. What is the reality? Are they acceptable or not for everyday walking around?

- What sites would you suggest I visit? I am into museums and historical sites. I also like the unusual. I am currently thinking of The British Museum, The Tower of London, The Sherlock Holmes Museum, Buckingham Palace, Westminster Palace, Imperial War Museum, Hunterian Museum. I plan to either walk or take public transit. I have no plans to rent a car. Is this too much for my allotted time? Anywhere else you think I would like?

- I am also thinking of taking in one or more shows in the West End while I am there. Looking ahead on the internet, I see Jersey Boys, Wicked, The Book of Mormon and a few others.

- When travelling I try to stay away from chain restaurants, that I could eat at while at home. I like to try the local fare. It doesn't have to be fancy. I'm pretty open to trying all sorts of foods and/or drinks. Any suggestions for restaurants or pubs?

Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions and/or advice.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 20:22
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,490 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: London solo trip in Sept. 2014

Another vote for September.

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: London solo trip in Sept. 2014

Not sure if this fits with your timeline since it's already quite packed, but along with Imperial War Museum, I would recommend the RAF (Royal Air Force) Museum for part of the WWII experiences here.

Emeryville...
Level Contributor
212 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: London solo trip in Sept. 2014

I love London in September - have gone twice during that month and the weather has been warm and glorious. As far as clothing, I find most of Europe less casual than the US, meaning I don't see a lot of sneakers, sweats, baseball caps or denim in most of the big cities. I wear good walking shoes (Ecco or Clarks) and dark denim or black pants.

No need for a car, as others have said. Try a day trip via rail - its easy to get to Bath or Brighton. Check out the walking tours too, and although a bit campy I loved the Jack the Ripper night walk,

i'm heading for my third London trip this week, and cannot wait I expect cooler weather, but heck, that's what pubs are for - to warm up!

vast

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: London solo trip in Sept. 2014

As Adam says, September is essentially a summer month, so do bring your shorts. I wear tailored shorts and white sneakers a lot in the summer and have yet to be mistaken for an American tourist (to be fair, I don't wear ankle socks !!!!).

My advice (as ever) is to visit plenty of pubs. Take a look at the Good Pub Guide and also listen to recommendations - although those probably won't be for the food unless the recommender specifically mentions it. Should their description of the pub include the word "boozer" then it won't be for the food - rather, the genuine pub atmosphere and (likely) decent beer. Do try to visit one of these pubs, frequented by locals during your visit. They are difficult to find in central London, hence my second recommendation for you - take a day trip out of London, if you can possibly find the time. You'll get an entirely different perspective on our country that way. As a starter I would suggest Brighton for all round interest, Portsmouth for history and Rye or Lewes for both of these - but with the added bonus of some great pubs.

Mike

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: London solo trip in Sept. 2014

We also visit every year in September. The weather is quite similar to our East Coast September weather. You can never tell though, so do take some different weight layers and a good rain jacket.

Wear what you normally wear at home, there isn't much difference these days. Almost everyone wears jeans (or khakis) just about everywhere, even at the theater.

Bring already broken-in comfortable shoes. Hubby brings 3 pairs (including a pair of sneakers, which they call 'trainers') as he likes to switch them up for comfort. You do a LOT of walking. Even standing in museums can be hard on the feet.

Read a bit of this forum everyday and your guaranteed to have a wonderful trip.

Happy travels

West New York, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
168 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: London solo trip in Sept. 2014

Scott - I think many have given good advice on places to stay and what to wear and what not to...A few thoughts:. London has some lovely gardens as well and you may like to explore them in the evening, Kensington Gardens, in particular. Albert and Victoria is an interesting museum.

It may not be a bad idea to drive out of London or take a tour bus for an all day trip to London's outskirts - Stratford-Upon-Avon, Bristol, Bath and Cotswolds. Jane Austen's Town and her house has a lot of interesting facts to look into. Some historic places in London also offer tea-time sit downs or special tours that are interesting and informative. That's an experience in itself. I have tried all-day tours and was very pleased.

Watching a nice show or concert at the Royal Albert Hall is an experience.

I would not recommend watching shows that you can see here in the US. If I were you, I would look out for shows that don't play in the US. You can watch Jersey Boys at Forest Theater in Philly.

"We will rock you" based on Queen's album should be a good one, if you are fond of the band.

http://www.wewillrockyou.co.uk/

Good luck and happy planning!

Edited: 30 December 2013, 07:39
17. Re: London solo trip in Sept. 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16