We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cockney in Essex
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

Does anyone know the easiest and quickest way from either Stratford rail station or Liverpool St. Station to London City Airport and the journey time. I thought there was a direct bus shuttle from Liverpool St. at one time, is this still the case? Many thanks to all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,926 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

From Stratford it's quick and easy enough, jubilee line to canning town, change onto the DLR to city airport , shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,345 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

At some times of day (I've never worked out what these are), there are direct DLR trains from Stratford to City Airport.

I remember the direct bus to Liverpool Street, but I haven't tried to take that since the City Airport DLR stop was built. There are various combinations of tube + DLR from L'pool Street, but I can't think of one that doesn't require two changes (or a hideously long tour of Bank station).

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,066 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

The bus was withdrawn when the DLR went all the way to the airport.

As above, Stratford to Canning Town on the Jubilee Line then Woolwich Arsenal bound DLR to City Airport

From Liverpool Street, not as direct. Walk to Bank and take the DLR all the way or 100 bus to Shadwell then DLR from there

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

Are you in a hurry?

If not you could try the 135 bus from Bishopsgate (stop L next to Liverpool St station) to Limehouse and the DLR direct from there. It's about 15 minutes bus ride, 15 minutes by DLR and probably 10 minutes wait time. That's 10-15 minutes longer than the fastest route (via the maze and stairs that is Bank).

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/live…

London
Level Contributor
9,542 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

Stratford is much easier. If you're at Liverpool St, the easiest route is head to Stratford (use national rail) then Jubilee or DLR from there to City airport. In rush hours, the DLR trains (on the Stratford Intl) branch go direct to LCY. Outside rush hour you'll change at Canning Town - easy change.

If you're not familiar with Stratford, note that there are two branches of the DLR, make sure you get the right one.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,873 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

From Liverpool Street I'd take the 42 or 78 from Bishopsgate (USBT has provided the spider map) and alight at Crosswall in the Minories, stop K: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aldg…

Walk two minutes (three if your bags are heavy) to Tower Gateway and board a DLR train there. The station has escalators or a lift to and from the platforms. You will need to change to a train towards Woolwich Arsenal, but that's a matter of alighting at Shadwell or Limehouse and waiting on the platform for the right train.

The 42 and 78 for the short journey will be quicker than the 135 to Limehouse, as traffic in Commerical Road can be a pain in the neck.

7. Re: Liverpool St. Station or Stratford to London City Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2014, 05:18