We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

We are staying at this hotel in December for 2 nights. Looking for restaurant recommendations for a Friday night. Either within 20-30mins walk or a couple of stops on the tube/bus. Thanks

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,036 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

Two of the finest 'genuine' curry houses in the area. Tayyabs in Fieldgate Street (usually a long queue to get in) and Lahore Kebab House in Umberstone Street

For excellent fish and chips, Happy Days in Goulston Street

If you're not into curry or f&c, then choices are limited around this area I'm afraid

A number 15 bus will take you towards the Tower where there's slightly more choice or head for Liverpool Street/ Commercial Street/Spitalfields for a better choice

We're booked at La Pietra in Commercial Street on Tuesday, steak/Italian place. Supposed to be pretty good

London
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

The 15 bus is the most frequent past that hotel. But the slightly less frequent 135 gets you nearer Liverpool St / Spitalfields.

Personally, I'd just get on a 15 and head up to the West End - direct bus - views of some iconic sights along the way.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,618 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

The HI is very near stops E and F here: tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…shadwell-140913.pdf The 15, 115 and 135 all make their way along Commercial Road; there are 11 buses to and from Aldgate, some of which you may find handy as well. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/aldg…

There is a Tesco Metro in Commercial Road but the Sainsbury's Locals in Mansell Street (near Aldgate High Street) and Commercial Road just past the Troxy are larger and (I think) better stocked, if you want to do a bit of self catering.

uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

Thanks very much for the swift replies.

The advice regarding buses and the maps are really helpful, I think they look like a good option for getting around.

London, United...
Level Contributor
477 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

Efes is a turkish restaurant on Commercial Road, always very busy. I've been once and its decent food and reasonable prices. It's BYOB so you can save on the cost of alcohol if you want it! Further afield I'd recommend La Gondola on Globe Road or Italina on Cambridge Heath Road for Italian food. Both about a 20-25 minute walk away or 5 mins if you hop in a taxi. You're close to the Shadwell DLR stop which takes you to Canary Wharf very easily. Great shopping down there and lots of restaurants, I like Plateau, which is above the huge John Lewis/Waitrose store there. Finally on Brick Lane, amongst all the rather grotty Indian restaurants is the wonderful Chez Elles, a gorgeous French place which is currently ranked 26th out of over 14,000 restaurants in London on Trip Advisor. I've been there many times, the food is lovely, the service very friendly and it's not too expensive. If you do like Indian food the steer clear of Brick Lane and, as others have said, go to Tayyabs or the Lahore Kebab House.

6. Re: Restaurants near HI Express Commercial Road E1 2BT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:17