We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

What hotels are around T1. We arrive from Dover late am and are flying out jun8 on Iceland air to the states. I have heard of the Hoppa bus but we will have quite a bit of luggage, do they have a place to put it at the front when boarding?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,358 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,128 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
515 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Whaley Bridge...
Level Contributor
119 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

Hoppa buses are decent enough, they have big luggage areas at the front, though I'd not really want to be on a packed one. As you're only going a short distance, you should be fine as the buses only go to a few hotels per service - so it's not a particularly long route and, of course, they're well used to international travellers and accommodating luggage allowances etc.

Plenty of hotels all around the airport, and all will be serviced by a Hoppa service - you can always check online which service goes to which hotel.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,049 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

How are you getting from Dover - that's going to be a bigger problem than a mile or so from T1 to an airport hotel

London
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

To provide context, T1 is located between the main runways. There are no hotels close by the terminals, they're all off airport, and all require a bus transfer from T1. Either (paid for) hotel hoppa or local buses (which are free in immediate area around Heathrow).

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

What time does your flight leave from T1? If its anything past crack of dawn you are better off staying in London.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

If you plan to take the fast train from Dover Priory to London St Pancras then book a hotel near that station. With 'quite a bit of luggage' you may find it much easier to book a car service from central London to LHR T1 the next morning.

In any event, the Hoppas are pricey for the short journey from the airport to hotels in say, Bath Road. WIth two travelling a taxi would be about the same price as two singles on the Hoppa and provide door to door service.

If you've booked FI451 to depart Heathrow at about 1300 there's little to no benefit in staying at the airport the night before the flight. Let us know your budget in pounds and we can suggest hotels handy for St Pancras.

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

Hello travelerplus..been following your advice for quite a long time. Long story short, arr Dover 7am have a car booked to LHR at 8-8:30, depending on traffic which I assume on a Sat is not as bad as during the week. We have had successful journeys twice from Dover to LHR with no problem . However, we have been forewarned that we need at least three hours to traverse, baggage, security, gate etc and to be honest Hubby doesn't traverse well (and yes we have gone the wheelchair route before not fun) so this makes making the 1pm flight a little iffy. If only for my own piece of mind we decided to just stay overnight (I will not go into the fact we booked Iceland vs LHR direct (huge exit tax made our tix almost double). Anyway, we are already booked (but can of course cancel the ride to LHR). We have a lot of luggage...Have read about national bus etc but in no way will you get us schlepping these bags thru the tubes of London.

We have done London proper to LHR before by private car, our method of choice and we would love to stay in London overnight. Hotels are expensive. I will not pay more than 100-125 GPB per night and yes I know I am being unreasaonable but I have stayed in London on 5 differnect occasions and have always gotten a good lodging deal. I have looked at the Holiday Inn LHR for $84 GBP per night (god knows if Vat is included..I just need a place to rest my head. What do you think Deb

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

I just need a place to rest my head.

------

Trouble is, that's all you'll get if you stay at an LHR hotel you won't be going outside to look around, find a restaurant, take a look at a few sights from the outside. Though ISTR there is a pub just round the corner not sure if its wheelchair accessible though.

However if all you want is a room that's as good as any, plus you are paying for one less taxi journey so it will be a fair bit cheaper overall. Long time since I stayed there you can look at recent reviews on this site and see what people say about it, one thing that hadn't changed is that it's well situated for T1, I presume you'll be getting a taxi the next morning and that would make sense compared to two Hoppa fares there won't be much difference anyway.

You will be stuck in that one room a long time though..........

Edited: 18 November 2013, 07:07
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

deb,

Follow TravellerPlus's advice. Ditch the car service from Dover to Heathrow. Instead take a taxi to Dover Priory station and take Southeastern High Speed to St. Pancras. There are decent hotels at reasonable prices in the Kings Cross St. Pancras area. Premier Inn is a very good mid range chain so check them out.

Save the car service for the Sunday to get you from Kings Cross to Heathrow.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 07:30
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

With a budget of £100 - 125 you may book the Premier Inn Euston or PI King's Cross in York Way and still have money left over for dinner that night. There is a new PI almost opposite St Pancras station to open next year; it's not showing availability right now but may do so from January or February.

The fast train from Dover Priory to London St Pancras will cost £37.30 per person, I suspect less than the cost of a car and driver from Dover to Heathrow airport. www.justairports.com can offer a car and driver from central London to T1 for about £45.

Given the choice between the HI in Bath Road and a stay in London, I'd choose the latter.

Strafford, NH
Level Contributor
33 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Terminal1 LHR

Our problem is luggage taking the train. We will have 2 large suitcases & 2 carry ons. Do they have a baggage area on the train?