We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

Pune
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

Hello Wonderful People !!!

Hope you all are doing great !

We are a couple & will be visiting London in winter-cold February & are first timers !

So, can you please let us know the dressing/clothes that we need to carry.I can understand that it will be about 2-6 degree centigrade so should be a combination of layers of sweaters & jackets,shoes,gloves etc ++ Umbrella !

But can you please elaborate.

Also, some pics of links will be really helpful.

Thanks so much friends :)

Warm Regards

~Himu.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

I think you've got it all! The outermost jacket should be waterproof and I personally prefer a hooded waterproof jacket to an umbrella for getting through crowds without poking someone's eye out but that's just me.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

Absolutely, layers are the way to go, you can get quite mild days in February also, so layers that can be added and subtracted as needed are the way to go. A good waterproof jacket should keep out the rain and the wind. A good pair of comfortable leather shoes are a must. I also would avoid umbrellas, as they are quite dangerous in crowded areas, a waterproof jacket with a hood is a safer bet.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,583 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

Remember that shops, restaurants will be warm. As will buses and tubes - sometimes very warm if busy!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

Hi there

This is the type of jacket I have, it's lightweight but waterproof and windproof and has plenty of pockets for all your stuff plus a hood to keep the rain off your head. Although it's light, it is very warm but won't make you sweat.

http://tinyurl.com/nz5qm6x

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,741 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

And by layers - vest, t-shirt, shirt, jersey, jacket (or whatever combination you're comfortable with). The trick is to be able to remove or add layers as you go indoors or the weather changes.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

Apologies, an incorrect link there, try this...

regatta.com/mens/…topline-3-in-1-jacket.html

And don't be put off by the price, you can find them for at least 50% off on many mens clothing websites.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 13:06
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

In summary - Keep your head, hands and feet warm and dry. Dress in layers with a light waterproof hooded jacket as your outside layer and omit the umbrella.

Edited: 18 November 2013, 13:11
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

Gloves and a woolly hat too, and shoes that do not let in or absorb water

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,934 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

I find a scarf to keep my neck warm and, sometimes, silk thermals make all the difference. The thermals are really only necessary on very cold days or when there is snow (which is rarely).

Silk adjusts to the ambient temperature and keeps you warm outdoors and not too warm inside.

Pune
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London in winter-cold February: advice on Clothes pls !

okay okay okay !!

this is *the* perfect advice I was lookimg for - thanks a bunch each one of u :))

bdw what do I wear as pants ?

jeans would be cold !

black formals ?? but will feel the cold right ??

leather shoes are perfect + I am planning to carry extra pairs of socks- just in case they get wet !

anything more helpful wonderful souls :)

cheers

Himu