We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Favourite streetfood vendors?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bude, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Favourite streetfood vendors?

And why?

hit me

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,647 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

I wouldn't buy any food on the street. Places like Borough Market are fine. If I can't see handwashing facilities and food properly covered then I'll give it a miss.

Bude, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

Sorry street food/food market is what I meant.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,761 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

I'm with jdbri on this and was going to give pretty much the same response. The 'street food' at Borough Market is pretty stunning and properly regulated. Other good markets with street food are also available:)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,012 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

Kerb and the South Bank real food market are a couple of others. Thankfully the rat sausage/burger vendor trade (or whatever it was) has been removed from the street. One New Change also periodically has some food stalls but I'm not sure when. Pretty sure there'll be details on all of these via Google.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

Borough Market faves:

1. Toasted Cheese Sandwich from Kappacasein http://kappacasein.com/

2. Bacon Wrapped Dates from the outdoor kiosk at Roast

3. Empanadas from Porteña

Alternate: 1am doner kabab Leicester Square (as anyone finishing up a pub crawl will attest)

Bude, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

Thanks I'm aware of the different food markets available thanks to Google.

I'm looking for peoples personal favorite vendors at said markets as MChiddy has posted.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
548 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

Odd though, isn't it, that in many countries of the world (particularly in tropical climes), the advice is often that 'street food', where you can see whatever's being sold being made from scratch, can be a safer bet than heading for a restaurant where the food may have been hanging around and giving micro-organisms the chance to multiply. I guess that, wherever you are, places that have a rapid turnover of food (and plenty of customers) are also a better bet.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,656 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

In many countries street food is prepared quickly by frying fresh ingredients in hot oil which is going to kill most of the bugs.

In London the worst culprits are manufactured hot dogs held at danger temperature for hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

My favourite is the Regents Place food market on the first thursday of the month, About 20 great food stalls, my personal fave is the Curry Goat but the confit duck sandwiches are beautiful there is also some really good fish and chips. Even better I have a meeting in the building at 350 Euston Rd every Thursday, perfect timing.

Elsewhere I love the guy selling Ghanaian (sp) at Exmouth Market, the Moro food stall at the same location is also lovely in fact this has just made my mind up to go there for lunch tomorrow.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,643 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Favourite streetfood vendors?

The Sunday UpMarket in the Truman Brewery has the most international collection of stalls I have come across in London and I love it for that. There are also picnic tables to sit and eat it.

http://www.sundayupmarket.co.uk/

From Monday to Friday there are lunchtime food stalls along Whitecross Street.(12-2 ish). The local pub lets you eat it in the pub if you buy a drink. I particularly like the burrito van, but the German potato, sausage and cheese fry is delicious too, as is the food from the Brazilian stall. Judging from the long queues, the Thai and Indian food is probably very good.

www.yelp.co.uk/biz/whitecross-market-london

Edited: 19 November 2013, 08:17