We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

I Feel like it is the night before Christmas!

Just like when I was a little peep the excitement before the big day. Finally after 228 TALF posts, 4 guide books, too numerous to mention Google searches, and printing out each page of “What are some good cheap eats around tourist places?” thread among many others our trip FINALLY starts tomorrow! Wanted to send a very LARGE shout out to everyone here at TALF land for answering my many and crazy questions and posts. We could not have planned it all without you. Thank you.

So one last time, below I will post my running itinerary.

. I know it will change and we will do half of what I write down but I am a peep that loves a plan. Please feel free to tell me I am crazy or to offer more creative ideas/suggestions.

Back story family of four. Tween fashionesta 12 and Teen hipster 16. Good travelers.

See you on the other side of the Pond……

Boston...
Level Contributor
908 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

Have a wonderful trip! Your excitement reminds me of how I feel every time I get to travel to London! Looking forward to reading about your adventure. :-)

Level Contributor
2,551 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

Here is THE PLAN.

Just as I went to post this a few hours ago TA went off line. I hope it is not a sign. Just saying......

Day One Saturday

Take Exclusive Airports transport to hotel in the Kensington area.

Thanks TexScott. I know Tube is cheaper, but two cranky peeps and luggage I think it is just an easier option. Time is money on Vaca. Find closest Carphone Warehouse (have already printed out address) to buy two very cheap phones to use for the week. Mostly if we separate the group. Spend rest of day trying to stay awake and pinch me I am in London moments.

Day Two Sunday

V and A Museum.

Sunday Markets?

Day Three Monday

Time to pull up the big boy pants & get going on the Tourist shuffle

Tower of London.

Boat Cruise on Thames

Westminster Abbey

Day Four Tuesday

Churchill War Rooms

National Gallery

• Afternoon tea booked through afternoontea.co.uk 25% offer. Royal Horse Guards hotel

• Matilda tickets booked

Day Five Wednesday

City Walking tour on our own

St Paul’s Cathedral

Museum of London

Day Six Thursday

Windsor Castle and town

Day Seven Friday

British Library

Kings Cross Station for HP

British Museum

Day Eight

Markets?

Shopping?

• Panto Puss in Boots in Hackney Tickets booked

• TALF Pub meeting! I hope to make it.

Day Nine

Harry Potter Studio Day

Tickets booked

Day Ten

Early AM to do last minute shopping.

Go home……..

Write Trip report on plane. (Just kidding about that part)

Things we hope to fit in somewhere.

The London Eye

Harrods

Oxford and Regent Christmas lights

Forbidden Plant store (peeps love sci-fi)

Liberty Store

Primark

Café Crypt at St Martin in the Fields. (peeps think eating in a crypt is way hipster)

Would love to see Greenwich but don’t see it fitting anywhere?

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

If you rearrange a few things and maybe even drop off a few, you can take a boat trip from Embankment (just east of Westminster) and go to Greenwich look around and take the boat back, possibly stopping at sights along the way. It doesn't take up that much extra time and it's worth the trip, I wouldn't miss a ride on the Thames, the views are fantastic :)

EDIT: Ok, you have boat ride on the itinerary. Just plan it in a way that you can walk around in Greenwich for a bit and maybe have lunch.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 03:24
London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

It all sounds good.

This Saturday and Sunday the London Swedish community are having their Christmas market in the Marylebone area. It's at the Swedish Church in Harcourt Street and the pub across the road is the Harcourt Arms which is worth a visit.

If anyone is interested in science fiction there is a rBritish show called Dr Who that has its 50 year anniversary show on Saturday.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

It all sounds good.

This Saturday and Sunday the London Swedish community are having their Christmas market in the Marylebone area. It's at the Swedish Church in Harcourt Street and the pub across the road is the Harcourt Arms which is worth a visit.

I think you can fit a visit to Greenwich on Sunday for their Sunday markets. Either go by boat from Westminster Pier (about 30 minutes) or go by underground.

If anyone is interested in science fiction there is a rBritish show called Dr Who that has its 50 year anniversary show on Saturday.

Canada
Level Contributor
141 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

Your days look really manageable and there's enough free time/flexibility to allow you to shop/go to markets (e.g. after V&A, take a walk to Harrods). Have a great trip!

Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

Vicariously excited here... Just three more weeks of countdown for us :-D

I'm looking forward to reading how you fare and hope you have a great journey!

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

You can also fit in ice skating - or watching the ice skating - at the Tower of London or the Natural History Museum.

But my personal favourite skating rink is at Somerset House which is in the opening credits of the movie Love Actually if you've seen that.

It's a nice place to go for a coffee after visiting Covent Garden market.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

For Sunday Markets:

Spitalfiled's and the Sunday UpMarket are good for clothes, jewellery and food. There are often some lovely and original clothes and jewellery to be found there. It can get really crowded after lunch, so arriving by 10.30 am is strongly advised.

Plan on lunch at the Sunday UpMarket as the stalls not only have delicious food from all around the owrld, there are picnic benches in the market (usually up a short level) to eat it.

spitalfields.co.uk/markets.php#.Uo787sSbqDk

http://www.sundayupmarket.co.uk/

Have a glorious time in London.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I feel like it is the night before Christmas!

Safe journey and look forward to meeting you at The Lamb next Saturday.