We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Hello! I'm flying into London at 11AM and leaving for Paris the next day around 11AM. So, I will have almost 24 hours in London. Looking for suggestion on what neighborhood I should stay in for interesting sights or shops I can get to on foot and good eats (should also be easy to get to from Heathrow and to the Eurostar.) Considering Bloomsbury but not sure. Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$125.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
439 reviews
from US$104.40*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,069 reviews
from US$148.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
628 reviews
from US$100.10*
San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Bloomsbury will be a good choice. What is your budget per night for a hotel? When will you be staying?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Bloomsbury is good for both Europstar and Heathrow.

and no one calls it The Chunnel. If you want to stand out as a touristand get funny looks use the phase often.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,987 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Bloomsbury is fine but assuming you have a fair bit of luggage then Kings Cross/St Pancras might be slightly easier as it's a straight shot from Heathrow on the Piccadilly line and has loads of hotels to suit most pockets located within a short walk of the Eurostar terminal. A number of different tube lines will mean you can be pretty much anywhere in tourist London within 30 minutes.

Budget, dates and number of pax please.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Yep, unless you will have a fanny pack, wear shorts and white socks, and try to buy things in shops with dollars, please refrain from using the "c" word. It's Eurostar.

I would tend towards the Kings Cross area also.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 21:07
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Chunnel really is a Yankism or Yankspeak. I think St Rick of Steves still used it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

Ha! Chunnel has been stricken from my vocabulary. Thanks all. :)

Glad to see the votes for Bloomsbury! My friend and I arrive Monday December 23 and leave on the 24th. Our budget is $150-200 for the night. Any suggestions on where to stay in Bloomsbury? Thanks for your help!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,236 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

We use pounds here.

www.xe.com

will help you convert to the local currancy.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,945 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

I'm pretty sure (because I'm pretty old) that it was called the Chunnel in England in the 1980s, when it was a mere pipe dream. Funny, in an age when portmanteau words are a dime a dozen, that this one should have dropped out of favour!

London, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

I think the Chunnel word was newspaper speak used to shorten 'channel tunnel'. I don't remember anyone actually saying it!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,987 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One night in London, then the chunnel to Paris...

That budget, be it pounds or dollars, is fairly low so you might want to have a look at this list compiled by Tex Scott - https:/…

You could also consider a Premier Inn, arguably the best of the budget chains. They have rooms at £79 for the 23rd at their Kings Cross location which is just a five minute walk from St Pancras station and at £86 at Euston which is about the same distance away in the opposite direction.

You are a little north of Bloomsbury but very handy for the Eurostar.