We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for high tea?

Welly
Level Contributor
149 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go for high tea?

I will be in London next year with my 2 girls. My oldest will be turning 17 while there and we were planning to do high tea at the Ritz for her birthday. Is this the best choice? I went there years ago and loved it but don't remember it being so pricey and I'm sure it was more relaxed. My sister and I turned up in our jeans and were given excellent service. Obviously not planning to turn up in our jeans this time.

Interested to know other peoples thoughts. The Ritz has the name so sounds a cool thing to do.

TIA

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,741 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for high tea?

The Ritz has the name but I dislike the conveyor belt approach with sittings every 90 minutes or so. Better are those hotels where you have the table for the afternoon which means you don't feel so rushed. Examples include the Capitol in Knightsbridge and Browns in Mayfair. The Savoy is also wonderful.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for high tea?

I think there are better places for afternoon tea but as it's her birthday I think the Ritz would be a good choice as it's one of those places that you never forget.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,838 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for high tea?

Chrella, the OP didn't ask about afternoon tea.

A rushed high tea at The Ritz, perhaps at 11am or 7pm, sounds like an experience no one will forget soon.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go for high tea?

I suspect OP was asking about afternoon tea but using the wrong name

As far as I can make out the Ritz doesn't do high tea

Edited: 23 November 2013, 08:08
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,838 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go for high tea?

> I suspect OP was asking about afternoon tea but using the wrong name

That explains it.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,383 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go for high tea?

Wiki says high tea is the evening meal of the working class - definitely not ritzy......

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,838 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go for high tea?

Personally, I'd like to see more places offering high tea. Often I don't want an early dinner but would like something a little more substantial than sandwiches.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,875 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go for high tea?

…about.com/od/…High-Tea-Vs-Afternoon-Tea.htm

9. Re: Where to go for high tea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 12:19
London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to go for high tea?

If you want a push-the-boat-out grand afternoon tea, Claridge's would, for me, be a much better choice than the Ritz which with its "slots" tourists taking flash photos and "afternoon tea" at all hours to pack in the tourists.

The Savoy is lovely as well and many like the Dorchester, which IO haven't tried yet.

Reservations should be made for any of the grans hotels as soon as you know your dates, especially if you want a date on a weekend.