We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

If you going from Gatwick to St. Pancras, but stopping off for a few hours around the South Bank/ Millenium Bridge,

to do the Thames cable car ride etc., will the one train ticket from Gatwick to St. Pancras do for the whole journey ?

Or should we get the one-day travel card ? Is First Capital Connect train the best cheapest way to go ? And at

which stop should we get off ? London Bridge ? Would we have to do the return cable car ride to get our train on to St. Pancras or wha ? Is it wise to pre-book the train tickets?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

The cable car ride is in the docklands, not the area Londoners would refer to as "the South Bank". The South Bank covers roughly the area between London Bridge and Waterloo along the south bank of the Thames. So a train to London Bridge is a good way to get there. Similarly, you could get a train from Gatwick to Clapham Junction and change there for a train to Waterloo.

To get to the cable car would require a Jubilee line tube ride from London Bridge or Waterloo.

The big question is whether you will have luggage and what you plan to do with it. London Bridge has no left luggage facility and Waterloo may or may not have one.

As for tickets, you can get a ticket from Gatwick that includes a Travelcard for the day of your arrival. You need to ask for this specifically as a point-to-point ticket would not allow you to travel beyond a single journey. The cable car will require a separate payment in any case. For the FCC trains that run Gatwick-London Bridge, there is no financial advantage to purchasing the tickets in advance.

To return from the cable car to St Pancras (assuming you do not have luggage to collect, you can take the Docklands Light Rail from the northern terminus of the cable car and change to the Northern line at Bank or the Circle line (slower) at Tower Hill/Tower Gateway (a short walk between stations in required).

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,114 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

If you show your Travelcard when you purchase your cable car ticket you will get a discount.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I'm afraid I'm more confused than ever ! I just want to make the best use of a few short hours by visiting

somewhere we haven't done before. That is why we'd really like to do the cable car ride and see the Thames Barrier etc

from it. And I really would like to see The Shard too.

We are arriving in Gatwick around mid-day and staying close to the St. Pancras Eurotrain station for going on to Paris the

following morning. That is why I want to fit in the sightseeing on our way from airport to hotel. So I would really appreciate

any suggastions on the best way to fit both in. Also please only give me one option on the train stops etc.to help me to

get it into action without my confusion issues ! Also we just hava a handy size back pack each. Hope that wont ba an issue?

We are a couple in our mid 60s.

London
Level Contributor
9,939 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

I know you are trying to have a simple plan, but you need to leave some flexibility open. The dangleway won't operate if there are high winds. It can operate in fog - but if it is foggy there would be no point at all riding on it as you would see nothing. So have an alternative plan in mind in case of inclement weather.

If the cable car is top of your list, you'll need the Travelcard option. At Gatwick railway station, ask for the "FCC travelcard" which will cost £13 per adult (2013 price, may rise in 2014). This covers the train ride (using the FCC service) to London Bridge, and then the Jubilee line to North Greenwich where you get on the cablecar. You need to buy an additional ticket for the cablecar.

Once on the north bank, take the DLR (the DLR station is 200 metres walk from the cable car) to Bank. You'll have great views of the Shard as you head into the city - especially if you get a seat at/near the front. At Bank, change to the norther line to get you to Kings Cross or Euston.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

Thanks "Bungle 73 for info.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

Hi rcspeirs,

ta for your info. It's greatly appreciated. Love the " dangleway " ! 1

Regards,

Bigireland.

County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

Hi rbgs,

Ta for great info.

Regards, Bigireland.

8. Re: Gatwick to South Bank area by train.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16