We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London England stay

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
London England stay

We plan on staying at the Travelodge London Royal Scot Hotel near Kings Cross next summer on a one week holiday. Friends of ours told they have a bedbug problem. Is this factual? Is there such a thing as a bedbug registry for hotels in London?

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London England stay

Bedbugs are very rare, but of course they exist at low levels everywhere. Perhaps you were unlucky and the previous residents of your room brought some with them from wherever they had been before. I think I can safely say that in all my years of staying in B&Bs, hostels and hotels.. I've only ever once come across bedbugs, and that was several thousand miles from the UK, about 23 years ago.. So don't worry about it.

I'm sure large hotels sometimes get a a few, but I'm equally sure they are very keen to exterminate them if they discover any.

Edited: 25 November 2013, 15:22
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,450 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London England stay

Have you looked at the TA reviews? I've just had a look at the reviews from the last few weeks and while this sounds like the sort of place you need to have realistic expectations about there is no mention of bed bugs. Like MartinC I have been travelling for many years in many different countries and never come across them. Neither have I noticed that they are much discussed on the London Forum.

Having read the reviews I don't think that this would be my first choice for a whole week, but expectation is all. Do you know where your friends got this information from, did they stay here?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London England stay

Have not heard anyone complain of bed-bugs on this forum, but if your friends insist that there are bed-bugs at this hotel then why book it?

You say that you are just 'planning' on staying at the Travelodge so if you are in doubt why not book another hotel, try Premier Inns, there are plenty in London and the cost is not too expensive.

btw have never heard of a 'bed-bug' registry in London, I imagine that local councils would deal with the problem.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London England stay

We appreciate the comments and look forward to spending a week in London next summer. Once again thanks to all.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,563 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London England stay

I wouldn't stay at that hotel again, but there wasn't an issue with bedbugs, rather the whole cleanliness and state of disrepair of the place.

If you want a Travelodge, try City Road, it's hard to believe the two are part of the same chain.

If you want the Kings Cross area, Premier Inn is good.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,157 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London England stay

Agree with Annabelle. A 7 night stay at the Royal Scot would be an endurance test not a holiday. Please consider an alternative hotel.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: London England stay

I stayed there for one night, a few years back and there wasn't a bedbug problem that I noticed. I did, however, notice small brown cockroaches in the lounge area, near to where breakfasts were being served. The whole place was grubby too and some of the rooms had damaged doors, gouges, missing peepholes and repaired areas around the locks, like they'd been forced open. It was purely as a place to flop after a club night and dirt cheap, so I wasn't that bothered, but nope, I'd find somewhere else, if I were you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,620 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London England stay

I too would not choose the TL Royal Scot for a stay of more than one night, even then only in extremis.

The TL City Road is a decent alternative as are the TL Bank, Tower Hill and Bethnal Green hotels. The latter is the newest of the three, not quite as central but clean, with comfortable beds and (usually) reasonable rates.

If budget is an issue, then along with those (newer) TLs, have a look at the Ibis Budget in Whitechapel Road. It's been open about 15 months and it too is a clean, well maintained hotel. The rooms are smaller than those at the TL properties, but free WiFi and Freeview help make up for the petite accommodation.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,230 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London England stay

I've never heard of bed bug registries anywhere.

I've also seen the effects of bed bug 'urban myths' and can say with fair confidence, that 99% of claims are false alarms. If on the extreme rare occasion that the problem does exist, hotels take it very very seriously. I've seen them close off anything from one room to entire floors, for precautionary reasons. And depending on the type of chemicals used, the fumigation process can take between 24-72hrs. When stronger chemicals are used, some soft furnishing are disposed for good. So again, hotels don't take it lightly.

I'd take the information from your friends with a grain of salt, but equally take the recommendation of the local experts for better properties.

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London England stay

Isn't New York supposed to be the bed bug capital of the World ? Never heard of a London problem

Edited: 26 November 2013, 09:44