We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

I'm proposing to my girlfriend in Central London in February. I want to plan a scavenger hunt proposal where she has to follow clues to find me and the ring at the end. I have a list of great places in central to add to the list, but I'm conscious about the almost certain bad weather in February. Can anyone recommend places that are indoor that I could add to my scavenger hunt in Central London? This way I could make it half indoor and half outdoor.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Locked In A Room
Room Escape Games, Scavenger Hunts, Game & Entertainment Centres
Agent November
Room Escape Games, Scavenger Hunts
TX
Level Contributor
5,735 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

Seems any of the museums would work.

Best wishes, by the way! Sounds like a wonderful surprise is in store for your girlfriend.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

I agree with Bajablonde about museums being your best bet, especally as they are free, but won't your g.f. want to visit those places with you? Or will you tell her the two of you are competing against each other for some prize?

The proposal at the end sounds great, but I can see some difficulties unless you are travelling with a group of friends who could be part of two teams......

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

Sweet idea. Agree - museums and galleries. Maybe even a cafe if you arrange something with the owner in advance? It would he helpful to tell us where you're already planning to go so that suggestions fit in, otherwise the poor woman will be too exhausted to say yes!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,234 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

It seems to me that the British Museum has some trails, that you could perhaps adapt. Maybe tell her you are picking out a "prize" at the gift shop, but instead show up at the last location?

britishmuseum.org/visiting/planning_your_vis…

Best of luck!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

These are great ideas guys thanks. To be more precise i am inviting 3 of her best friends along. I thought at each clue another one of her friends could be waiting to join the hunt with her. British museum sounds like a great idea as part of the hunt! What attractions are not too far from this museum that could play a part in the hunt as well? Any shopping centres or big department stores?

Edited: 25 November 2013, 22:40
Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

I hope the clues will just be on small bits of paper, otherwise you might find the security guards at those places will remove anything larger and might even get jittery and call the police if they see you hiding small packages.

How about you plan in a cafe stop for them and ask the owner if they'll give them a clue with their coffee? There's lots of small cafes around there and if you explain, I'm sure they'd play along. :)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,234 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

Errr...I think I would much rather have someone propose to me in a quiet area of the British Museum, than a crowded shopping mall or department store.

I think someone else here decided that rather than over complicate things, he would propose in the room, with champagne--the happy couple then went off to a romantic dinner engagement.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,832 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

Hmmn!

Maybe I am not that romantic, but if someone had made me "work" like that, for a proposal, I think I would have told him to get knotted, by the end of it...

Be careful that it does not backfire on you....

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

If she likes that sort of thing (and you, of anyone, should know) then it's a great idea. I'd stick to old, atmospheric places, museums and pubs rather than shopping malls though.

If you haven't got the ring yet, end up at a jewellers in Hatton Garden. That allows you arrange for the penultimate clue to be at "Ye

Olde Mitre" (but check it's open - Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese or Jerusalem Tavern would be an acceptable alternative).

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London Scavenger Hunt Proposal

> Maybe I am not that romantic, but if someone had made me "work" like that, for a proposal, I think I would have told him to get knotted, by the end of it...

I was thinking much the same. If anyone tired this nonsense on me they'd be chucked.