We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

Will most likely be travelling to London next year and just wondering which of Heston's 2 restaurant should I visit? Any idea what's different about the two (e.g. is Fat Duck's food more experimental / out there?)

I know Dinner has a higher ranking at the moment - but not fussed about that bit.

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

Well regardless of cuisine/rankings Fat Duck is a train and cab ride out of London whereas Dinner is virtually opposite Knighsbridge tube station at the Mandarin Oriental so it may depend on your willingness to travel.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

As you said the fat duck is more experimental than the food at Dinner.

The menu is Dinner is his interpretation of historic dishes so the food is unusual but not quite as "scary/unusual" as the food at the fat duck.

Have a look at the menus online and you will see the difference.

I have been to Dinner and I enjoyed it very much. It was relaxed and the service was friendly. The famous meat fruit are really worth a try!

It's expensive but it didn't feel like a rip off.

I haven't been to the fat duck but a close friend has. She said she enjoyed it and it was a once in a life time experience but that she was still hungry by course 5 of the tasting menu and had to raid the bread basket. That said she really isn't a foodie so I imagine a lot of the effort went over her head!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

Agree with all the above, also it's much harder to get a booking at the Fat Duck ime. If you go to Dinner do have the meat fruit, also the spit-roast pineapple and the nitrogen ice-cream that they make at the table for you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

The Fat Duck is regarded as one of the world's great restaurants, Dinner is not.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

Depends who you ask Chris. In this list Dinner is number 7 and Fat Duck number 33. http://www.theworlds50best.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

Very interesting list, only someone with no taste buds would possibly rank Dinner higher than the Ledbury, and for any list of the WORLDs top 100 places to include the average Viajante on its list destroys credibility. I note St. John is also on the list, this has been on the slide for a good couple of years now.

BUt to the original poster, The Fat Duck will be a far superior experience to DInner. Both are expensive and the Fat Duck is a real chore to get a reservation.

Personally I would eat at Petrus, The Ledbury, Pollen Street or The Square ahead of either place.

london
Level Contributor
582 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

All "best" restaurant lists are subjective so it's a bit harsh to say someone has no taste buds just because they prefer Dinner to the Ledbury. If they were comparing Garfunkels to the Ledbury maybe, but when you are comparing restaurants of this calibre it is just personal preference. All the food will be good, all the service will be good and it will be served in a nice environment, it just depends what you prefer and what you are prepared to pay.

I would love to go to the fat duck, I am sure it would be amazing, but it has always seemed to me that the tasting menu is to be experienced rather than enjoyed. But as I said its all subjective.

That said, I agree Petrus is brilliant and it's lunch menu is one of London's real bargains

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,490 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

I enjoy the fare in here.

www.thecrownatbray.com/

Chennai (Madras...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

Fat Duck would not be my choice for sure. I love the private dining at the Dinner by Heston at Knightsbridge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fat Duck vs Dinner by Heston

The Fat Duck is an extraordinary dining experience ( I certainly didn't feel hungry afterwards) but it does depend to a large extent on the novelty of some of the dishes (eg. Sound of the Sea). There is only the Tasting Menu available and some of the dishes on it have now been around for a while . I've been twice and don't feel I need/ want to go again, but would recommend as a 'one off'.