We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alexandra Palace etc

Halifax
Level Contributor
259 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Alexandra Palace etc

Hi, we are having a day in London in a couple of weeks, we want to go to Alexandra Palace, Primrose Hill, Muswell Hill & Crouch End, can anyone please recommend the best method of transport to visit all these locations & the most logical order to go in? We arrive at Kings Cross.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

Hmm. Primrose hill is reached best from the tube at Chalk Farm or Camden Town, which are only a few stops from Kings Cross, so you might just do that as a single there and back at the beginning or end of the day.

The other three fit together and it really depends where in each location you actually want to be. But, simply, you can either take overland from KC to Alexandra Pal, walk over or take a bus to Muswell Hill, (w3 i think) then walk or bus (w7 i think) to Crouch End. Then bus to Finsbury Park and tube to KC. Or you could do it in reverse. In reverse you will probably have more uphill walking, or, more steep uphill walking. From Ally Pally station to the palace itself is a steady climb. From the bottom of Muswell Hill (Park Road) to the top is very steep. You might also consider Wood Green Tube, depending, as i say, on the exact locations of your visits.

Should say its quite a day, and i bet one of the locations gets lost or is very brief. You can use tfl to get travel times.

London, England...
Level Contributor
63 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

alexander palace crouch end and muswell hill are all close to each other go to white hart lane train station and get the w bus to Finsbury park the bus goes right to the top of the hill and you can get a great view of London . inside the palace is palm court worth a squint at

london
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

I agree with Yesidaresay to do Primrose Hill separately

my suggestion of the most efficient way of doing the other three ...

- go to Finsbury Park station (Piccadilly or Victoria tube lines)

- take the W7 bus from the Wells Terrace bus station next to the station to Crouch End

- then take the W7 bus again up to the terminus at Muswell Hill

- from there walk to Alexandra Palace, there is a footpath which starts next to the bus stop at the top of the road called Muswell Hill which takes you through the park to the Palace

- afterwards take the W3 bus either back to Finsbury Park, or in the other direction (bus destination will read Northumberland Park) to Wood Green station so that you can get back onto the tube network

this route has the advantage of absolutely no hills to climb

I'm wondering why you want to visit these places ... if it's to get to vantage points where you can see out over London there are a few other places I could suggest

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

The First Capital Connect over-ground train service runs from Kings Cross to Alexandra Park train station. A bus service then takes you up the hill to Alexandra Palace itself and then later on to Crouch End and Muswell Hill.

Back to Kings Cross for a new journey out to Primrose Hill

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

Primrose hill is worth a visit, you also have the added bonus of nice restaurants and pubs on regents park rd. Unless your visiting the other areas for a specific reason, I'd give them a miss and tie up primrose hill with Hampstead.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

Although the W7 from Finsbury Park reminds me of the days when I lived in Crouch End, I think for all you wish to do in one day, hardygeranium's suggestion is sound.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/musw… The W3 makes several stops near Ally Pally, and you can connect in Priory Road to the W7 or 144 to Muswell Hill Broadway. tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…muswell-hill-a4.pdf tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…hornsey-a4.pdf

Edited: 28 November 2013, 21:59
Halifax
Level Contributor
259 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

Hi, thank you all for you advice

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

Sorry if you know this already, but Alexandra Palace is not a palace in the conventional sense, ie a royal residence or stately home, but was created as a venue for public events. It would be unusual for someone to go very far out of their way to visit it unless they were attending a function there. The park is pleasant but so are many others in London.

9. Re: Alexandra Palace etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 06:19