We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windsor Castle and a movie

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Windsor Castle and a movie

My wife and I have a 10 hour layover at Heathrow and I'd love to tour Windsor Castle then catch Gravity at a nearby theatre followed by a return to LHR and check out the Concorde Room of BA. Any tips on how to achieve my dream 10 hour layover?

Cheers

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

When do you plan to travel: at what time of day and on what day of the week do your flights arrive and depart? Ten hours between scheduled arrival and departure does not mean ten hours on the ground, so let us know more. Keep in mind that there is no baggage storage at Windsor Castle, so you will need to stop at T5 left luggage to stash bags as well.

If you are not booked in First on departure from LHR T5 you will not be able to access the Concorde Room. Flying from YYC in First and onward in another class of service will allow you to visit Galleries First and the Elemis Spa if you wish. If you are flying from T1 or T3 you will have to use the Galleries lounges at those terminal buildlings.

Let us know a bit more, please.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

We arrive to LHR at noon and our connect is at 10pm. We're checking most everything but may store bags at LHR T5 if we want to go light from LHR to Windsor.

We're booked in F onward from LHR (YYC-LHR only has J/Biz)

So do you think a whirlwind tour of Windsor Castle and a flick is do-able?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,370 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

Your flight from YYC will almost certainly arrive at one of the satellite terminal buildings at T5, so the walk from the plane to passport control will take 10 minutes; allow 10 - 20 minutes for the queue at immigration. Left luggage at T5 is at the opposite end of the terminal bulding (make your way towards the way out toward the Tube station, with left luggage just past M&S Simply Food on the right and the way out to the left).

Taxi to Windsor will take 20 minutes. With all you need to do at T5 you may be ready to leave the terminal building at 1330, and may arrive in Windsor at 1400. royalcollection.org.uk/visit/…plan-your-visit Gravity is showing at the Odeon Maidenhead at 1630, so you will need to be quick at Windsor and take a taxi from there to Maidenhead - is that really what you want to do after a long flght from Calgary?

To make the most of the Concorde Room you would then need to rush back from Maidenhead to T5, go through South Security and nip in the secret door to the CCR. Let's say you might reach the CCR at 1900, giving you two hours before making your way to the gate for your next flight.

I'd give the film a miss, to be honest. Taxis from Heathrow to Windsor, to Maidenhead and back again will add up, and trying to fit too much into a short time will give short shrift to all of the items on your wish list. Should your flight from YYC be delayed in departing or arriving that will have an impact on the best laid plans as well.

A trip to Windsor is doable as is time in the CCR. Why not call YouFirst and book a cabana, a nice treat after your visit to Windsor and a good way to prepare for your next flight; call 1 888 331 1332 or 011 44 161 448 3382.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

I'd give the film a miss too, not only because of time but because most people I know who have seen it have given it a thumbs down, so unless you are 'so' into Clooney and Bullock that you want to see just the two of them gerrymandering with a space craft for a couple of hours I'd have a rethink.

5. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 22:05
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

You have time for the Castle, and I did enjoy Gravity, but really, can't you see that anywhere? It won't be better or more special, in the UK.

Info on getting from Heathrow to Windsor and back....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186216-c184679/Unite…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

Wow, you are a wealth of knowledge! Thanks so much.

We will probably skip the flick and do Windsor Castle and a healthy pint or 2 before, yes, heading to our Cabana room at the CR lounge!

My wife is not so hip on a movie as well :-)

Cheers

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

I'd rather spend that two hours in a pub than a cinema!

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

Much as I love cinema, I also agree that if you can see Gravity in Canada (and I am assuming that you can), there is no real advantage to seeing it here.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windsor Castle and a movie

In that 10 hour span, I do hope you are planning to eat?