We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

Our family of 5 arrives into London early morning about 24 hours after we start our journey - most will go straight to bed for a few hours to catch up on some sleep. I was thinking about heading from Sloane Square into Victoria station to get 7 day paper travelcards from the surface level ticket office (that is, to ensure being eligible for 2-4-1 deals) for the whole family whilst they slept. I understand that one needs passport sized photographs for this, but can I turn up with all the photos and buy the travelcards for everyone by myself or does everyone in the family need to be there before the ticket office will issue them?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,820 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

There's no reason why one person, with the correct documentation (i.e. photos), shouldn't be able to purchase on behalf of the group in their absence.

Johns Creek, Georgia
Level Contributor
220 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

I just did this at Charing Cross Stn last week. While the family was at the station coffee shop, I just took the photos up to the counter and bought the travelcards. The attendant did not ask to see or speak with any other family member. I also bought a Family and Friends railcard at the same time.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Level Contributor
2,782 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

We are just back and I was very confused on the whole travel card thing. We just bought tickets from the Nationsl rail service not the tube and they worked fine for the London Eye. No pictures required. Not sure if it was a fluke. I asked when I bought them and no questions at the eye. Just had the forms voucher filled out before I got to the London Eye ticket booth. This was yesterday. Already missing London. .

Enjoy your trip

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

The theory is you need photos for 7 day and longer travelcards but not for one day ones

You need the photocard to buy the travelcards and to show a ticket inspector if there is one en route. You don't need it to enter or leave a station and you don't need it at the London Eye or other places you visit. It's only to do with travelling - nothing to do with the offers

For most people it's never needed once you have the travelcard

Edited: 03 December 2013, 12:04
Johns Creek, Georgia
Level Contributor
220 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

You need to have the photocard made up to buy a 7 day London travelcard at a Natl Rail station. You do not need one to just buy a point-to-point rail ticket. I brought photos printed on regular printer paper and it was no problem.

7. Re: Travelcards 2-4-1 - purchase on behalf of whole family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17