We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

Damascus, Oregon
2 posts
Save Topic
11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

Hi Everyone, I need help with an 11 day itinerary. We'll be in London December 19th - December 30th. 2 weeks away!!!

-I'm traveling with 7 other people (14-53 yrs old) and we have rented 2 flats near Waterloo Station.

-We are all SO thrilled to be going to London for the first time and all of us would be happy just sitting on a park bench people watching the whole time. :-D

-This is what I made for an itinerary and I want your feedback! Too busy? Not busy enough? I really wanted to leave enough time for us just to wander and have a leisurely time instead of being rushed and panicked to get to the next sight, and some days WILL be like that but I didn't want the whole trip to be that way.

-Also, we plan on getting groceries so we're not eating out for every meal.

Day 1 – Thursday 19th: Arrive @ Heathrow Airport. Check-in at flat. Get oyster cards, groceries, etc.

Day 2 – Friday 20th: Natural History Museum, Harrods ( I know, overrated and a complete tourist trap but we're going just for the fun of it.) :-)

Day 3 – Saturday 21st: London Eye, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace(outside), St. James’ for pics with guards.

Day 4 – Sunday 22nd: Fortnum and Mason, National Gallery.

Day 5 – Monday 23rd: Tower of London, St. Paul’s.

Day 6 – Tuesday 24th: Hyde Park, Oxford Street. Westminster Christmas Eve @ 11:45pm. ( We have our tickets and know to wait in line early.)

Day 7 – Wednesday 25th: Christmas Day

Day 8 – Thursday 26th: Wax Museum

Day 9 – Friday 27th: Bath

Day 10 – Saturday 28th: Windsor Castle. Portabello Market? Too tired after Windsor?

Day 11 – Sunday 29th: River Cruise, British Museum.

I've done SO much research and this my last thing that I kind of had a big question mark over.

Thanks for the feedback in advance! :-)

-Andrea

British Museum
Art Museums, History Museums
Churchill War Rooms
Historic Sites, History Museums, Military Museums
Natural History Museum
History Museums, Natural History Museums
Imperial War Museum
History Museums, Military Museums, Speciality Museums
London, United...
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

I like it.

The novelty of sitting on a bench people watching will soon wear off in December! It'll probably be fairly cold (although above freezing) and dark at 4pm-ish.

Consider paper Travelcards rather than Oyster (see 2for1 articles at the top, right of this page).

If you're at the NHM, consider visiting the V&A next door.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

The only part that I'd be worried about is going to Oxford Street on Christmas Eve - though if you are early in the day, it might not be too bad (pedestrian traffic). Otherwise, I think it looks great - certainly not too busy/rushed - you've allowed enough time to actually enjoy the places you are going!

Also - just noticed Portobello Market - it closes at 7pm on a Saturday, just so you know!

Have a great holiday!

London
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

You could defintiely fit more into most of the days but with 7 of you I guess it would be difficult getting people moving etc. Only Day 10 looks a squeeze and that will be fine if you get to Windsor Early.

Day 4 and Day 8 looki especially light.

I'd definitnely try to do a walk along the river, from where you are staying to St Pauls. It's such a lovely walk. Also, try to pass trhough Trafulgar Square one evening and listen to the Christmas carols.

London, England
Level Contributor
277 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

I cant see a South Bank walk in there, start at Waterloo and walk to The Globe or across the Millenium Bridge via the Christmas market and Tate Modern. You could walk back this way after St Pauls?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,398 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

On day 2 when you are at the Natural History Museum there is a brilliant Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition . Museum is free but there is a charge for the exhibition.

On day 10 don't be surprised if lots of the stalls are packing up by the time you get back from Windsor. I think I would miss out the market and try something else for the rest of that day.

When you are at Trafalgar Square the big white church on the corner is St Martins in the Field and there is a café/restaurant in the arched crypt that many locals and tourists like. A little bit different from your normal place to have a coffee or a meal

Edited: 04 December 2013, 11:55
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,465 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

Overall I think it's well planned/paced with scope to put in/subtract according to mood and interest. As you're near the South Bank you will probably find yourself walking round there (perhaps go for a skate at the Eye rink) at some point.

http://southbanklondon.com/winter

You don't seem to have any theatre/guided walks/much in the evenings. If it's of no interest fair enough but especially with the Young Vic/National theatre on the doorstep might be worth checking out.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

Looks good and you've been given some fine advice already. Day 8 looks very light indeed and I wouldn't try to squeeze in Portabello after Windsor. 14 year old (and others) may also like the Science Museum (or indeed one of the many other museums and galleries in London). Would any of you enjoy skating? Somerset House ice rink is lovely and just over Waterloo Bridge, several others around including Natural History Museum, Hyde Park and Tower of London.

Personally I love Oxford St on Christmas Eve. In the afternoon it starts to wind down and I find the atmosphere rather nice and Christmassy. The food stores may have some last-minute bargains (Selfridges Food Hall is good) and you'll get a sneak preview of the Boxing Day sales.

For other ideas around Christmas, pick up the Evening Standard (free on weekday afternoons around Central London) and check the Time Out website.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

Generally looks fine and I don't think you need to plan out every step - you and others in your party may want to follow their noses. For example - Fortnum & Mason is next to Jermyn Street which has some lovely traditional shops and leads on to the Piccadilly arcades, is opposite the Royal Academy

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/

is 10 minutes walk from the Bomber Command memorial, the Artillery memorial and Wellington's home at No.1 london. You can decide if you want to do any of that as you wander around. Just bring a decent guidebook so you know what's there.

I prefer Regent Street and New Bond Street to Oxford Street (apart from Selfridges) but that's personal taste.

If by the wax museum you mean Madame Tussauds, you could always add on a visit to London Zoo, which is a 15 minute walk away and is open on Boxing Day.

You've nothing planned for the evenings, as others have mentioned - have a look in Time Out for shows and theatre whilst you're there - St.Johns Smith Square is a lovely place for classical/carol concerts

http://www.sjss.org.uk/

Level Contributor
2,889 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

HI I noticed that you had the London Eye down for a Saturday. Not sure what time you are planning but we tried to go last Saturday. The area was PACKED with the Christmas market right there. The market was packed too. The wait for the Eye was over an hour and half. We left and went this Monday right when it opened with no wait. The Christmas market was not open at this time.

Enjoy your trip! Just back 24 hours and so sad.

Get the paper travel card so you can use the 2 for 1 offers on the Eye. We saved over 40 pounds for our family of four with it.

Damascus, Oregon
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 days in London - Itinerary - I need your feedback!

Thank you for your replies and tips! This really helps us! :-)