We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Recognizing that I could also pose this question in the Ely and/or Cambridge forums, I thought I might get a better response here. We are scheduled to arrive at LHR (T3) at 9:35 a.m. on Wednesday, 5 March. I'd like to know the most cost-effective method for traveling to Ely (our destination is near Ely Cathedral) - but convenience matters as well, since my 74-year old Mum and I will be tired from the long flight over.

National Rail requires a journey to Paddington, tube to Kings Cross, train to Cambridge, and another train from there to Ely. The cost is approximately £49 per person.

Then there is National Express. A coach to Cambridge is £55 for BOTH of us, making this look to be the best bargain. From Cambridge, however, I'm a bit unclear how one travels on to Cambridge. (Taxi? Bus? -- How much should either of those options run?)

I think I'd book a taxi from LHR before taking the train. I've received one quote of £115 for the journey from T3 to Ely. If, however, the coach is my best bet, I'm hoping someone can provide a bit more info of what becomes of us once we reach the station in Cambridge.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 18:13
TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Sorry - I should have said "From Cambridge, however, I'm a bit unclear how one travels on to ELY."

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Not sure where you got those costs from but if using the train it will be easier and cheaper to get the Piccadily line from Heathrow to Kings Cross and then change to national rail.

This would cost: £5 for the tube and £30 for train from Kings Cross to Ely.

This route is entirely step free with lifts at both Heathrow and Kings Cross.

Out of interest, are you staying at Cathedral House?

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Just realised, the train to Ely is actually £25.90 or £37 if you want a return ticket (off-peak only).

TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Those costs are coming from the National Rail Journey Planner (using similar date/arrival time in February which is as far out as it lets me search), including Heathrow Express from T3 to Paddington where the route picks up the KGX train into Cambridge. You're saying we should bypass HEX and Paddington entirely?

We are indeed staying at Cathedral House.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

A taxi from Cambridge to Ely on meter is roughly £30 - 35 according to YourTaximeter.

A taxi from Heathrow to Ely is £105 with an Ely based firm (link below). Take your pick.

http://www.ely-taxis.co.uk/

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,084 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

There is no point going to Paddington, a) because the HEX is mega-expensive, and b) because the Paddington is way out of your way and the Piccaddily Line runs direct from Heathrow to King's Cross, which is where you need to be.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 18:43
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,318 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Yes. Avoid HEX, overpriced and not much use unless Paddington itself is your goal. Piccadilly to Kings Cross and train from there to Ely -simple and direct.

TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Thanks for the taxi info. So - an additional £43 or so to hire a taxi from LHR vs. the train journey (at the price point LondonFlare advises). Right now, I feel like I'd rather save the money. However, when we step off the plane at Heathrow, I may feel differently!

TX
Level Contributor
5,722 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

Thanks LondonFlare and others for the very helpful advice. I wonder why the National Rail Journey Planner directed me through Paddington!

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to Ely, Cambridgeshire

< I wonder why the National Rail Journey Planner directed me through Paddington! >

1) It's the fastest

2) Tube isn't part of the train network

HOWEVER if you use "Heathrow Underground" in the NR planner it does default to Tube

BTW not much point booking in advance as you can't collect train tickets at Heathrow