We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Edinburgh

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mar Del Plata...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Edinburgh

I'd like to know if is that possible....(poor chances to find an hotel there, and carrin' all the luggage for just one night lead me to consider this option )

Leavin' London early in the morning, arriving Edinburgh at lunch.

City tour, the Castle....maybe Rosslyn chapel ;)?

Then, returning on 7:00 pm train, to London

Is that too much???

Is that or leave Edinburgh for another time...again............:(

Thanx in Advance!

Anelim

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

I love Edinburgh, and if a day trip were the only way to see it, I'd go for it. But if you really want to see it in depth I'd save it for another time, as long as you're sure there will be another time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

Anelim: I would leave Edinburgh for another time. It's a lovely city and to spend all that time on the train for just six or so hours would be a shame. If you're spending your nights in London, there are lots of other day trips you can take with shorter train journeys.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

Isn't there an overnight train to Edinburgh? Maybe you could take that, sleep on the train and arrive first thing in the morning. At least then you'd have a full day.

You could check out of the hotel for 1 or 2 nights, store the luggage with them (most hotels allow this, although I've seen 1 hotel with a huge pile of luggage in the lobby, I hope that wasn't their storage!) and just take a day pack with a toothbrush and change of undies for the morning on the train.

Given that you've said "again", this sounds like something you've always wanted to do and have left it to "next time" before. In that case, I wouldn't risk the chance that there would never be a next time.

London, UK
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

When I go to Edinburgh on business for a day, I find it a long hard day - it is another country after all ;-).

If this is the only trip you'll ever ever make to this country, & it'll be incomplete without Edinburgh, then you must go.

But it will all be there when you come back for your next trip.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

Why not fly there for the day from London?

London
Level Contributor
938 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

It is a long way to go for just a few hours. Edinburgh is fantastic (in fact I prefer it over London) and if this is the only way you are going to see it then you should go for it. However, if you are going to come back to the UK again I would leave it until then and give it the good 2-3 days it deserves.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,649 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

A lot depends on where you are in London, and how many hours you'll waste getting to/from whichever London airport you use.

People do do it, if they have to, for business (usually the other way about though) but I wouldn't suggest it as part of a holiday.

Sleeper train would be the best way of doing it, and you save 2 nights hotel costs.

Mar Del Plata...
Level Contributor
23 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

First of all, thank you for your replies and advices.......

Sometimes you need to be encouraged to do something you DO know is not a good idea....

I've made a mix of all your replies...........and took what I really wanted to hear! ; )

As whistlingdixie and amberm1 said.............. there would never be a next time........ considerin' I live more than 10, 000 km far from UK, like me.

I know: in summer, finding hotel, trains and flights is not that easy, but Iow season is not an option for me.......

I'll try to find the way not to do the crazy day trip..........

but if I fail.....I know that's possible.... and many of you survived doing it, though

(any chance to find a hotel, Aug 4 or 5th, without booking in advance?)

Thanks a lot, again.Anelim

London
Level Contributor
401 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

If you want to do the journey to Edinburgh for a day then fly.

There are some very reasonable fares from all London airports to Edinburgh. You can be in Edinburgh city centre by 9.30am and have a full day in the city - leaving at 7pm in the evening.

I've done a lot of similar day trips around Europe, and while ideally it's nice to stay a few days, sometimes it just ain't possible to get all that time in all those places you want to see.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Edinburgh

I disagree with the suggestion of flying. To be in downtown Edinburgh for 9:30, the flight needs to leave around 8am (1 hour flight, 30 minutes from the airport). To catch that 8am flight, you need to be at the airport for 6am, meaning you have to be on the tube for 5am. That's 4.5 hours, about the same time as the train.

To catch the 7pm flight home, you need to be leaving the core by 4:30 in the afternoon.

And trains are more comfortable.

However, is it possible to add Edinburgh to the start or end of your trip? I was flying from Athens to Heathrow. Since I was already at the airport, I went directly to Edinburgh. Then I took the train back to the London a few days later.