We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport on Christmas Day

Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public Transport on Christmas Day

Dear All,

I will be arriving in London on Christmas eve until 27 December 2013. I read in the internet that on Christmas day itself, there is no public transport services. I also tried car rental but non-available on the dates i requested. Any other recommendation?

p/s: i am thinking of staying in Ibis Wembley but now i have to reconsider since it will be far from the central London. Any suggestion on affordable accommodation in central London areas preferably Paddington or Bayswater?

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Wembley
Wembley
Greater London, UK
Bayswater
Bayswater
190 Reviews
London, UK
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,392 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

Which airport do you arrive at (London has a few!)? What is your budget? I agree Wembley for a few days over Xmas wouldn't be the ideal location.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Wembley
Wembley
Greater London, UK
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

I will be arriving in Gatwick from Amsterdam. By far Ibis Wembley is the cheapest that i could find and recommended by budget travelers. My hotel budget is about GBP50 per nite as. I have to catch a morning train from Marylebone on Friday morning to Birmingham.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Wembley
Wembley
Greater London, UK
Marylebone
Marylebone
132 Reviews
London, UK
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,845 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

It's not a bad budget hotel but totally impractical for your requirements.

Your budget is also very very low and i think you may struggle to find suitable central accommodation without increasing it. Maybe have a look at some of the better cheaper hotels (there are also some awful ones) along Sussex Gardens which is close to Paddington so handy for Marylebone. I am thinking of the Rhodes or the Mandalay Picton.

You will still need to book a car service though. Expect to pay up to £100 on Christmas Day.

Mentioned in this post
Marylebone
Marylebone
132 Reviews
London, UK
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,565 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

According to National Express Coaches they will be running services to and from the major airports on Christmas Day:

nationalexpressgroup.com/media/allnews.aspx…

Let's hope this is true. If so, it will be a massive change for the better for those arriving and departing on Christmas Day, and we can dispense with the advice about needing to book a car service.

Edited: 05 December 2013, 17:58
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,120 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

You shouldn't need a car service (unless arriving very late) as you can use public transport on the 24th and 27th.

Have a look at easy hotel (very basic but clean and in good locations) - various locations including Paddington, Victoria and Earls Court for £25-35 per night. You could also try Tune which has various locations including Paddington with rooms for between £180 and 220 (total stay). All are near transport hubs and will have a at least a few shops and places to eat open on Xmas day.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,232 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

The OP is arriving on Christmas EVE, so transport from the Airport isn't an issue unless the OP is arriving late evening.

Edit - beaten by parklandwalk

Edited: 05 December 2013, 18:01
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,845 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

Oops. Thanks for pointing this out.

I still think it far better to stay more centrally rather than out at Wembley unless the OP wants to watch the world go round on Christmas from one of the upper floor rooms or go for a meal at one of the many Indian restaurants that should be open on the High Road.

Mentioned in this post
Wembley
Wembley
Greater London, UK
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
822 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/county has single room available £50 inc breakfast but share bathroom. It would be a 2 min walk to Euston Rd for buses to Marylebone about 15 min. Area very central.

Mentioned in this post
Marylebone
Marylebone
132 Reviews
London, UK
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

Thank you very much for the advise. I have check Easy Hotel Paddington and it is quite affordable based on my budget. But i think i might going to stretch my budget a lil bit on the accommodation part. As for the airport transfer, I have already booked a train ticket from Gatwick as i will be arriving at 2.30pm so i guess it won't be much problem.

How about on the 26th? Is the public transport services will be back in service on that day?

Thank you again.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 07:53
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,845 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Transport on Christmas Day

Tubes will for the most part be running although some lines and stations will be closed. Check the tfl website nearer the time. Trains though (with a few exceptions) will not be running.