We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytime public transport..Recommendations Please.

midlands uk
Level Contributor
173 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Daytime public transport..Recommendations Please.

Well Got the accomodation sorted ,Now for getting around.

I wonder if any one can please recommend the best option for getting around central london whist here on a 3 day break? 2 adults 2 Ch (11/14).

How does Oyster work....well how do calculate how much to credit one for set period? Or is it best to buy 1 day travel passes.. I would be interested in a pass/ticket/card that can be used on various transport methods. I know the passes are supposed to be good value.. but in reality we wont be going mad on the tube/bus but it will be handy for getting to some points of interest. Ishouldnt mind looking into the tour bus thing one day too but dont know how long the tour takes. Or would I probably be just as well paying as we go...Its been a few years since I was last using the tube/transport in london and I have no idea what the adverage tube journey costs today... Any pointers most welcome or links to good websites .. Absolutely any advice transport wise pleeeease...

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,104 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytime public transport..Recommendations Please.

Just bear in mind that the Hoho buses are a tour--they are not to be viewed as transportation.

London's sites aren't all near each other. In all likelihood, you will need to buy a pass of some kind to get around the city. Walk up fares are very expensive, and you'd have to queue to buy them every time. Even buying two walk up fares will cost more than a Travelcard or Oyster on a day by day basis.

Since you are four, you might consider the Travelcards, and the accompanying 2-4-1 offers.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c195600/Londo…

Essex
Level Contributor
27,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytime public transport..Recommendations Please.

Depending on ages of the children, they "might" travel free, with adults using a travelcard

AND

If you do use travelcards, purchased from any of the National Rail stations, you can make use of this.....

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytime public transport..Recommendations Please.

Your children may buy one day off peak zones 1 - 6 Travelcards for £3.40 each. One day off peak cards for zones 1 and 2 at present cost £7; from 2 January those cards will be good for use in zones 1 - 6 and cost £8.60. All Travelcards are good for unlimited use on the Underground, Overground, DLR and National Rail services in the paid for zones and buses in all zones.

Should you use zones 1 - 6 Travelcards you could, if you wished, travel from Heathrow to Upminster or from Purley to West Ruislip. Given the usurious cost of cash single fares (£4.50 for a single on the Underground in zone 1; £2.40 on the bus), Travelcards are good value, even better when one factors in the two for one offer use.

4. Re: Daytime public transport..Recommendations Please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2014, 05:17