We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter clothes in December

Adelaide, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Winter clothes in December

I am currently in country New Zealand which means winter clothings including jackets etc are not in season except for the big outdoor brands like Kathmandu and Macpac. I am arriving in London on the 16th Dec (in less than a weeks' time) and will be travelling in the UK through to the new year and then swinging past france, italy, spain, germany and greece until early to mid february.

I don't really want to spend heaps in getting winter jackets which i won't be using after my travel so i am reluctant to get the big brands. I am wondering whether I will be able to get cheaper ones in London, or should I just bring them from NZ?

Also, if it is anything, I am connecting in HongKong and may be able to pick up one on the way however I am just concerned the jackets wont be suitable for a snowy winter in the europe...

your advice is kindly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter clothes in December

Having been in NZ early this year I would say that you can buy what you need for less in London. You are visiting quite a few countries and the weather may vary considerably from region to region. Are you specifically visiting ski areas? If not then snow is rarely guaranteed.

I would say arrive in London then head to Oxford Street and visit Primark and maybe Marks and Spencer or H&M, you should get everything you need.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter clothes in December

It's currently 9C in London. Yesterday I was walking around in a woollen shirt and fleece top. If it turns colder, and at night, you would want a warm jacket, but nothing like you would need for bundling up on the ski slopes.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter clothes in December

you can get really cheapo stuff from Primark, it doesnt last long but you dont need it to!! You could always drop it off at a charity shop before you leave. I would wait til you get here and see what you need.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter clothes in December

Just make sure that you have a few layers on when first arriving, and an umbrella as well as sensible shoes, it is very mild for December here right now, just strolled into the garden wearing a cardigan.

As has already been said you can purchase warm winter clothing quite cheaply in Primark, but don't go over-board, we probably aren't going to get snow and if we do it is usually a bit feeble and easy to cope with.

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter clothes in December

Uni-qlo has some great offers on jackets at the moment which are amzing for travelling as pack done so small. I'd recommend getting stuff in the UK.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter clothes in December

I would also go with Primark, cheap and cheerful which is what you're looking for if you'll only be using them for the trip.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,927 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter clothes in December

Primark is great for some things cheap and definitely worth a look. In Bristol last week I was surprised to see sales of fleece and layering clothes with some things at half price. It would be worth it as you could get set with warm quick dry clothes for the rest of your trip.

So for warmth and waterproof Trespass, Timberland, Mountain Warehouse. I now travel with a polo neck thin fleece, a 'sweatshirt' type fleece and a smart fleece jacket over. It seems to cover most things as you can peel off or put on as needed and they should wrap up small and dry overnight. They are selling a lot at half price at the mo possibily because people are buying the fancy stuff for their outings at Christmas. Worth checking the prices online first.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 17:54
England, United...
Level Contributor
9,898 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter clothes in December

Save on your checked baggage allowance, buy cheap n cheerful in London and ditch what you don't need on your further travels.

Have a great trip, and welcome!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,897 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter clothes in December

Don't know if you are male or female, but if the former, great deals on outerwear can often be had at TK Maxx. The "her" side of the store usually looks like it has suffered a small stampede...the "Him" is almost always pristine.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter clothes in December

As with the above it's quite mild in the UK (temperature wise) at the moment. In addition we don't really get snow until January/February so I wouldn't worry about that. Wind and rain would be the worry for December. If there's one thing you can be sure of it's how quick the weather can turn in the UK - our forecasts are fairly bad beyond a few days because of geography conspiring against us but the forecast for your first three days are currently 10 degress C in the day and 5 degrees C at night with cloud and 9 or 10 mph winds from the (warmer) south