We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare Purchase Timing

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Topic
Airfare Purchase Timing

Good Morning!

We're in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to London and then Dublin for a couple weeks leaving from Chicago at the end of Sept 2014.

My question to you expert travellers is this: When should one pull the trigger on purchasing airfare??

We would be flying into London from Chicago, train/ferry to Dublin, then back to Chicago from Dublin. Currently, the airfare is around $1100.00 round-trip. Is this fare normal or high? Does it generally drop/rise in the spring? Just wanting to know if we should just get the tickets and be done with it or if we should wait for the fares to drop. I know Aer Lingus has some crazy sales from Chicago every year, but that's normally just r/t to Ireland.

Any advise on airfare timing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited: 09 December 2013, 16:26
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,601 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airfare Purchase Timing

That looks a reasonable deal but there are other regulars on here who are better placed to discuss sales and the like.

The one thing I beg you not to do is to look at rates once you have clicked on the "purchase now" button. That way madness lies!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airfare Purchase Timing

We would be flying into London from Chicago, train/ferry to Dublin, then back to Chicago from Dublin

=======

Why train/ferry to Dublin?

Fares rise and fall all the time, no one here knows what is likely to happen next week let alone next September, if I were you I'd wait for the next set of sales, probably just before or just after Xmas, and buy then but there could equally well be a later better sale no way to know.

Or if AL has "crazy sales" why not wait for the next one and combine with a return flight to London from Dublin? (leaving >>at least<< a day between landing in Dublin and departure for London)

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airfare Purchase Timing

Thanks for replying. I know no one can predict airfares, I'm just wanting to get a sense of what is a "normal" or average fare from Chicago and what insight some folk might have as to timing. Also, trying to do all flights non-stop if possible. The trip will start in London and end in Dublin.

As for taking the train/ferry from London to Dublin, it's just something we've always wanted to do. Would much train than fly.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airfare Purchase Timing

Then I stick by my advice of buy in the next set of sales whenever they are but probably soon, then at least its one thing out of the way and you don't have to spend months more checking on fares and then getting annoyed because you should have bought them back in the first set of sales :-)

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Airfare Purchase Timing

True that! Thanks

6. Re: Airfare Purchase Timing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 06:19