We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Hampton Court

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Hampton Court

We are contemplating taking the train to Richmond and then a boat to Hampton Court. It seems as though if you take the boat from Westminster Pier in London, it is a 3-hour trip to get to Hampton Court, which makes for a lot of to-and-fro travel time. If one take the train to Richmond, how far would the train station be from where one gets the boat? Also, what are the names of boat companies that work out of Richmond, so I can check out their web sites for times? Thanks so much.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,296 Reviews
from US$126.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
475 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,093 Reviews
from US$134.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 Reviews
from US$333.50*
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Hampton Court

Richmond station is a very pleasant 10 minute stroll through one of the best-preserved places in London. The Green is all Georgian mansions and shops, with a couple of famous people living there (the Attenborough boys). Cricket is played there, and the lanes are filed with designer shops.

The Riverside has been tastefully redeveloped about 10 years ago and has many bars and restaurants.

Off the top of my head, the main boat operator is Turks, but I would Google a search for timetables etc.

I agree the journey from Westminster is long, but having done it last year, I can say it shows you a side of London you won't see from the Tube or train. It might be worth doing it one way and getting the train back (or vice-versa).

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,468 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Hampton Court

If you take the train from Waterloo to Hampton Court Palace (about 30 minutes), the train station is right next to HCP - easy walk.

If you came back to London on the Thames, the boats leave right from the river bank at Hampton Court Palace. Here's the timetable:

If you didn't want to take the boat the whole way back (about 3 hours), you could take the boat as far as Kew and take the tube back. The trip between HCP and Kew is very nice and you get to go through a couple of locks. (Hint: ask at Kew how to get to the tube station. We went the wrong way and ended up taking a bus back to London and it was kind of confusing.)

Mentioned in this post
Merseyside, UK
Level Contributor
563 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Hampton Court

If you get the boat from Hampton Court to Kew, it might be easier to get the train back from Kew Bridge than the Tube from Kew Gardens Station, which is a long walk.

Before you return to Central London, have a drink at one of the lovely pubs just across the river on Strand on the Green.

4. Re: Day Trip to Hampton Court

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 08:18