We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

Arklow, Ireland
8 posts
Save Topic
HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

Please help me....... we are planning a trip to London after christmas...... the only hotel I could get that suited our requirements is the Premier Inn in Croydon town.....I have seen so many mixed reviews on here that my head is totally wrecked...... I know a lot of you advise against staying here but its either that or stay at home............. I really need advice on the best airport to fly into from dublin, and best way to get to Croydon from the airport..... also we plan on doing some sight seeing and in particular a trip to the theatre ........... I really appreciate any advice you can give me........ TIA

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

The main reason people are likely to advise against staying there is because it is so distant from central London. There's nothing wrong with the hotel itself, but any saving you make by staying outside central London will be lost in extra fares. Is it possible to cancel and start again? Even a Travelodge in Central London (some are better than others) would be better from a convenience point of view. Also, have you tried booking.com? Their website allows you to enter the number of people (adults/children) you want the room for and can filter the results.

If it is not possible to cancel, the nearest airport to Croydon would be Gatwick.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 23:26
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

I would start by looking at flights into Gatwick, all the other London airports are horribly placed for Croydon.

Unless you are happy to fly into one of those others and store your luggage whilst you sightsee on arrival day then head to the hotel end of the day. Though that storage would cost enough (around £10/bag) you could probably fly into Gatwick anyway so that makes it Gatwick.

My other advice though is save up a bit more and stay more centrally. I wouldn't fancy coming back from the theatre late at night to Croydon myself anyway. Book matinees. Which are cheaper anyway.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,909 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

If you've booked the PI Croydon Town Centre for about £51 per night then you can do just as well in London.

The Travelodge in Stratford has rooms for £45 - 49 per night from 26 December; the night of the 31st is a bit OTT with the rate at £142, but the other nights are a very good bargain. Stratford is in zone 3 rather than zone 5 so you'll save on transport costs and have a considerable number of travel options to and from the area with Underground, Overground, National Rail, DLR and bus services to and from Stratford High Street and Stratford station.

If you plan to visit after 1 January then let us know your travel dates as again there are probably better options than a stay in Croydon.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

While staying in Croydon may not be ideal, I think it only fair to point out in Croydon's favour that from East Croydon station one can be at London Bridge in 13 minutes and at Victoria in 16 minutes. No, I would not choose to stay in Croydon, but it wouldn't be a complete disaster if you ended up there.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,473 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

I agree with Jonathan - East Croydon is midway between London and Gatwick, so as long as you fly to LGW you'll be fine. Simply view Croydon as the place where you sleep - do all your eating, drinking and shopping in London. Croydon's worst fault is it's utter dreariness. You'll notice that rather than any issues of safety.

Mike

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

Staying in Croydon to visit central london is similar to staying in Wicklow to visit Dublin - book somewhere else actually in london

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

So you've booked your hotel before booking your flight? How odd. Anyway, if you are in Croydon Gatiwck is by far and away the most convenient airport.

Just a little word of warning, lots of your savings by booking a hotel in Croydon will be offset by much higher transport costs unless you delay your journey into London to avoid peak fares.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

"book somewhere else actually in london" - I wonder if I'm alone in understanding that statement - Croydon, after all, is a London Borough...

Arklow, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

Thanks so much to all of you for your comments...... perhaps I should have made myself clearer..... PI Croydon is the ONLY hotel that we can find with availability..... we are a family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids (16,12,5) so we need 2 rooms and our trip is over new years....... I did find maybe 2 other hotels in central london which are costing approx £2000 ...... I booked my hotel first because when I first started searching about 4 weeks ago I realised i was going to encounter problems so didnt want to book flights to the wrong airport......... this is all so frustrating.... all we want is to take the kids to london for a few days, the boys catch a match on sunday afternoon and the girls a show..... see a few sights and do something nice on new years eve........I really appreciate your advice as trying to plan this trip from Ireland when you havent the first clue about UK geography is an absolute nightmare........

So Gatwick is the airport to fly to ...... can anyone advise the best way to get from here to gatwick??

Arklow, Ireland
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP...... Booked to stay in Croydon and need travel advice

Hi Travellerplus,

Thank you for your advice...... the problem is we are a family of 5 and need 2 rooms together..... very few hotels will quote...... i have emailed Travelodge in Stratford so hopefully they can so something for me...... our travel dates are 28th Dec - 2nd jan...... most places dont have anything available for NYE....... would gatwick still be the best airport if we were to get a booking in stratford???

Sharon