We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

My mother and I will be spending some time in England post-cruise at the end of May. After vacationing for a few day on the Isle of Wight, we want to stay a day and a half in London (we are booked one day on a Highclere Castle tour) and then we depart on an early morning flight from Heathrow.

My questions: As we're coming from the IOW (I assume via train? would bus be better?), what is our best London location to spend a night (or maybe two) before heading to the airport? I'm only familiar with the Victoria Station area as I spent time there this year, but this may not be the best location for connections.

Also, if we have a 7:45 am flight out of Heathrow, does it make sense to stay at the airport for the second night instead of at a London hotel? I believe that American Airlines leaves out of Terminal 3.

What's making this a little tricky is that Mom uses a cane (although she walks quickly with it) and we will have a significant amount of luggage from a long cruise. So jumping on and off the tube won't work well for her. Buses are good because we can stow our luggage easily, but a train might work as well.

I'd like to keep the costs down, but convenience, especially for Mom, is important too.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Sharon

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
11. Re: London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 12:03
U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,328 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

OK, so now you have completely confused me.

You are finishing a cruise, then spending a few days on IOW before heading to London, where you will spend 1 1/2 days--one day given over to a tour of Highclere Castle.

But in post 10, you query about how to get *from* London Victoria to Windsor? As you have only 1 1/2 days, I am not sure it would be wise to be changing accommodations--especially while hauling around cruise luggage.

Or have I got it all wrong?

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

By the looks of it, no it wouldn't pick up in Victoria Coach Staion. But it's just around the corner: http://bit.ly/1afq4K1 you'd want stop number 1 on Bulleid Way. Sadly I don't know this route at all but: www.greenline.co.uk/content.aspx?id=8119 however it does say:

"vehicles [a]re fitted with luxurious black leather seating, some positioned around tables, plus power sockets for charging laptops or phones, and free WiFi"

and the FAQ ( http://www.greenline.co.uk/faq/ ) does say, regarding luggage:

"On the coach services all luggage is stored in the hold of the vehicle and as long as the driver is able to load the item then we can carry it. You may need to assist with the loading of larger or heavier items. If the area for luggage is full then you would have to wait for the next service in order to travel. On the Green Line 724, the vehicle is a bus with a dedicated area for luggage so suitcases are fine but large items, for example surfboards, skis, golf clubs, will only be allowed at the discretion of the driver."

So despite the appearances of a regular bus I'd say you're fine. I'd check with the operator though

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

I understand your confusion, Laura. I'm starting to get confused myself! You are correct in your summary, though. We have about 1 1/2 days in London, of which one will be spent on tour including Highclere Castle.

The only reason I was asking about Windsor is that someone had suggested staying in Windsor INSTEAD of London if the tour company was able to pick us up there, as it is closer to both Highclere and Heathrow. I had assumed that our easiest way with luggage was to take a National Express Coach to Victoria Station and then take another bus to Windsor. But it looks like Windsor isn't exactly easy to get to with luggage.

If I was traveling by myself, I wouldn't worry at all, but I'm hoping to make this as easy as possible for Mom. I like the idea of getting a driver to take us there, but I imagine that might be quite expensive.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

Thank you, Infidellic. We could certainly walk that far to catch the bus, and if there is a spot for luggage, it might work well. :)

16. Re: London location for 2 nights between IOW trip and Heathrow?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2015, 05:16