We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK tourist stamp

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
UK tourist stamp

I am a Canadian and I have been in the UK since September with a 6 month tourist stamp. I have been staying with my boyfriend and we are planning to go to New Zealand (I have a working holiday visa for there) but my boyfriend needs to save up some more money. My tourist stamp ends in March so we wanted to go on a little trip somewhere in Europe then come back and I could get another 6 month stamp. We would be leaving a couple months after and I have more than enough money to support myself while I'm here and to go on my next trip. Has anyone had experience with this or know if that would be okay? I came to the UK for the first time in the summer for 2 weeks and then again in September and was asked questions but didn't have trouble. Thanks!!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,384 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK tourist stamp

'I came to the UK for the first time in the summer for 2 weeks and then again in September and was asked questions but didn't have trouble.' When in summer did you first arrive in the UK as a visitor, and how long were you away before you returned in September? When do you and your boyfriend plan to travel to New Zealand?

'I have more than enough money to support myself while I'm here and to go on my next trip.' You may well be asked to prove that if you leave the UK for a couple of weeks, say in February, and return a couple of weeks later. You will have been in the UK for quite a while, so be prepared to show evidence of sufficient funds for your stay. You may be asked about your relationship with your boyfriend as well and whether or not you have been working; I'd expect very close questioning on your return from 'a little trip somewhere in Europe'.

Only UK Border Agency / Home Office staff can make the decision whether to allow you to return to the UK after another short time away.

London
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK tourist stamp

My partner is a border officer, so I'll ask him later. I probably won't get a chance until tomorrow afternoon though.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,336 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: UK tourist stamp

< Only UK Border Agency / Home Office staff can make the decision whether to allow you to return to the UK after another short time away. >

Which is the correct answer. If the UKBA think you are "playing the system" then expect a VERY hard time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,760 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK tourist stamp

You are normally limited to 180 days in a given period, probably a year. I wouldn't expect the Border Force officer to admit you again without a rough ride.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: UK tourist stamp

If your boyfriend needs to save more money why are you spending money going on holiday? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Manchester
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: UK tourist stamp

The rules are here:

…homeoffice.gov.uk/policyandlaw/…

I would expect a hard time returning so soon, though as the UK does not do routine exit checks they may not know how long you stayed in the first place.

In such cases it is generally better to extend your original stay, but as the BA site says this is rarely allowed. I have done this in Australia, but it was time consuming.

7. Re: UK tourist stamp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16