We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

Thank you "London" - our new favourite city :-)

Like most planes (except for Air Force One), we arrived into the London area ahead of schedule but had to circle for a few minutes until we were cleared for landing.

Quickly collected our bags and ventured out to hail a cab. Wow - that was quick...no lineup at the taxi stand. About 65 UK Pounds later, we quickly learned why ;-) Live and learn.

We stayed at Home House - a private members club in the Marylbone Area --- about two short blocks from Selfridges. Home House is stunning and adorned beautifully in Christmas Cheer. We stayed in one of their feature rooms called "Lady Charlotte". In North American standards, it must have been about 750 square feet...it was huge.

At about 3 PM, we ventured out onto Oxford Street for a bit of shopping but stumbled into an area called Mayfair where we discovered a beautiful spot called "Pollen Street Social"...we adjusted to our new surroundings over a bottle of wine and a quick dinner followed. Such a beautiful start to our London Experience. After dinner, we went to the Les Miserables Production. Now, we have seen this production in a few other places and have seen the movie as well...but this was special and topped all of them by alot!!! It was perfect. After the three hour production, we walked around Chinatown and Soho...ventured through the beautiful alley ways with quaint bars, discos and restaurants - it seemed to be a city that just enjoyed itself...we walked around aimlessly and it felt very "before sunrise"-like...we eventually made it back to our Home House. There, we were greeted at 1 am with a "party" that was in full force...it is a members' club that becomes quite the place to party on the weekends. So we joined for a good hour, had a few more drinks and danced our first night away. What a start ! Day two coming up...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

What a great first day!

£65 from LHR isn't cheap but your "lesson" could have been much more expensive, so it's not all bad. :-)

Looking forward to reading the rest.

grafton
Level Contributor
634 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

I'm looking forward to reading the rest too. You got me in by mentioning Les Miserables. My favourite musical and one I never tire of seeing. For it to be still running in 2015 when we plan to visit, is probably too much hope for.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,280 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

Fr a New Yorker to enjoy London so much is a real compliment!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,898 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

Glad Home House appears to have worked out. I'm impressed by your stamina as well! Looking forward to reading further adventures.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

I'm looking forward to reading the rest too. You got me in by mentioning Les Miserables. My favourite musical and one I never tire of seeing. For it to be still running in 2015 when we plan to visit, is probably too much hope for.

==============

GraftonNed,

2015 will be the 30th anniversary of Les Miserables opening at The Barbican and West End.

This, and the fact that its still putting the 'house full' sign out for most performances leads me to think that you stand a good chance of seeing it on your visit, assuming bookings don't plummet in the next six months or so.

It's always been a popular ticket but they've had a huge surge in interest after the film version was released. It's especially brought in a new audience who hasn't previously been to the theatre much.

Some of my friends were among that that number. They completely fell in love with the film and booked tickets for the show purely based on that.

London
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

Thank you for spelling favorite with a u .

Are you still in London or back home.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,118 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

Your trip is certainly off to a FAB start! I too am impressed with your stamina on arrival day. I couldn't do it. :)

Home House sounds like a fun place!

Count me in as someone who hopes to see Les Miserables when we visit in June.

More please!!

8. Re: Trip Report 12/6 to 12/10 (first day)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16