We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas Day

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Xmas Day

Hi All

My husband and I will be in London on Xmas day. I understand it is a public holiday but given we have no family or friends in London and expect most things to do be shut wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions as to things we could do/places to see on this day? I would be grateful for any ideas you miight have as we only have a very short stay in London and would love to maximise our time ( even if on a public holiday!)

Many Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas Day

London is a great city for simply walking around. Depending on where you are staying, you could take in a walk along the river, through some of the parks, see Big Ben, Westminster Cathedral etc

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas Day

I believe that City Cruises are doing some river cruises, if you can get to Westminster Pier.

You could watch the people who swim in the Serpentine in Christmas Morning if you are near Hyde Park.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xmas Day

abovenbeyond, mick67 has created a thorough list of opening times for sights and attractions during the Christmas period: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k700159… If you have not booked Christmas lunch you may wish to do so soon.

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Xmas Day

Thanks you muchly Traveller Plus ( and Jon ben) for pointing in the right direction with that info.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,458 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xmas Day

Although most pubs are closed in the evening, the lunchtime and early afternoon period (around 12 to 3pm) is a great time to visit a pub, with everyone in jolly and festive mood. Many people go to the pub before their Christmas lunch. The more residential the area the better, as obviously it won't apply in mainly office areas.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,611 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Xmas Day

Maybe take a walk.

www.walks.com

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Xmas Day

Thanks I think a walk may be a good option too. Will look into that.

London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xmas Day

The Silver Cross pub on Whitehall, between Trafalgar Square and Big Ben, serves Christmas dinners and you don't need to book in advance, but you should get there soon after 12.

www.walks.com

9. Re: Xmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:19