We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

My husband and I are traveling to England in February with our 13 year old son. We plan to go to Liverpool for a soccer match and want to go straight from Heathrow Airport to Liverpool. What is the best way to get there? Meaning, do we have to take two separate modes of transportation from the airport to the train station and then onto Liverpool? Thank you!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

Trains from London Euston travel to Liverpool Lime Street, with shortest travel time of two and a quarter hours. The Underground journey from LHR to Euston will take an hour as well. Rail fares will depend on the dates you plan to travel.

Consider the option of flying from LHR to Manchester and travelling from there to Liverpool. BA have a number of flights each day; if you've booked to travel with that airline to T5 and decide to fly you may be able to have the bookings linked to make a seamless journey. If you've booked with another airline and will need to make a landside connection at Heathrow, you will need to allow at least two hours between scheduled arrival and departure times.

What dates do you plan to travel from and to London and Liverpool? Have you got tickets for the match?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,317 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

Lots of questions -

1) Have you booked your flights yet? If so, with which airline?

2) On which date do you plan to arrive in the UK?

3) Which match are you looking at going to? And have you booked tickets?

I would agree with TP in that flying to Manchester would be the best bet. But that's assuming that the game is on the same day, and separately ticketed flights back to back carry a risk (much minimized if you fly BA or AA to Heathrow).

Also, be aware that football games are subject to rescheduling for TV priorities and fixture change (FA Cup, League Cup, or European games if their opponents are still in the Champions or Europa Leagues). Also be aware that tickets can be hard to come by, so thoroughly research the website of the club you're looking to see (I presume either Liverpool or Everton but let's not discount Tranmere Rovers).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,191 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

You can book a multi city air ticket with American Airlines who fly to Manchester, and code share with British Airways

www.aa.com www.britishairways.com

Bus Manchester airport to Liverpool www.nationalexpress.com

www.visitliverpool.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

Expensive but reliable means to get tickets

http://www.thomascooksport.com/

Don't consider buying off the Internet or from touts near the ground on the day

You could end up disapponted and out of pocket.

I agree try to fly into Manchester. There is a railway station at Manchester Airport which will take you into Liverpool. If you do fly into Manchester, It might be a lot more convenient and not much more expensive to take a cab from MAN to Anfield. About £40 -50 I would estimate .

a ticket on the train could be £14 each

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,753 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

There are 2 home fixtures at Anfield in February:

08/02/14 v Arsenal (12.45 k.o.) and 22/02/14 v Swansea (15.00 k.o.)

Both games have sold out so, unless the OP already has match tickets, the only other option is to get a package from Thomas Cook Sports mentioned above, or there are hospitality packages still available for both games. Cheapest for the Arsenal game start at £230, and for the Swansea game £110.

6. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 21:35
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely look into flying into Manchester. How far is that from Liverpool?

No, we do not have tickets for the Liverpool/Arsenal game on February 8th, but we hope to buy 3. Do you have any connections/suggestions? We then hope to go to Liverpool at Fulham for the February 12th and WestHam at home on February 11th or Arsenal at home on February 11th.

It's for my 13 year old who is a huge Liverpool fan.

Thank you!

Toni

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

Travel Dates are from San Francisco arriving at Heathrow on February 6th. We are departing on February 15th. We do have those tickets booked already.

We would like to attend the Liverpool/Arsenal Match on February 8th, Liverpool at Fulham on February 12th, and either Arsenal at home against Man U or West Ham at home on February 11th.

Thanks,

Toni

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
15,753 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

"No, we do not have tickets for the Liverpool/Arsenal game on February 8th, but we hope to buy 3. Do you have any connections/suggestions?"

I have advised you that that game is sold out, and I have already advised you of the alternative ways of getting a ticket - which right now is a hospitality package starting at £230 per person. Thomas Cook Sport have actually now sold out their allocation of tickets (which started £259 p/person and included compulsory 1 night hotel accommodation).

So, unless you buy one of the hospitality packages I wouldn't bother making the trip up to Liverpool because there is no other way you will be able to attend the Liverpool v Arsenal game on 8th February.

Edited: 15 December 2013, 23:17
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,317 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Airport to Liverpool -- best way to do this

What Matt says regarding going to Liverpool. In any case, if you're arriving on 6th you wouldn't need to go straight to Liverpool anyway, so no need to fly up to Manchester directly after landing at Heathrow.

Of the matches you mention, your best bet to see Liverpool would be at Fulham. You can usually get tickets for Fulham games, but as this one will be a biggie you may want to buy a Fulham membership. Be advised however that you will be seated in the Fulham area, and if you show up in Liverpool colors or overtly cheer for Liverpool you may be denied entry or ejected.

For the Tuesday (Feb 11) you have no chance of getting tickets for Arsenal v Man Utd unless you buy from Thomas Cook (if any are still available) or a hospitality package. West Ham v Norwich would be your best bet.

If you're football mad, for Saturday 8th (unless you do spend an arm and a leg on hospitality tickets for Anfield), how about checking out a lower league game in London? You have both Brentford and Leyton Orient at home in League One, and those are true authentic football matches, with tickets easy to come by.

https:/…

Edited: 16 December 2013, 01:35