We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

London
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

I've done New Years Eve in central London several times before.. twice in Waterloo - standing on Waterloo Bridge for 4 hours in advance to get a place and once in Trafalgar square. I never want to do the standing for 4 hours in advance ever again, it is bitterly cold on the bridges, especially with the cold air coming off of the water and the high winds. To me it's simply not worth standing in the cold for 4 hours to see 10 minutes of Fireworks.

So I thought I'd try something different and see if my friends want to meet me in Camden for dinner and drinks in the local pubs from around 7pm and then get to the top of Primrose Hill before midnight. From past New Years Eve's will the pub be packed at that time? We were thinking of going to the big Wetherspoons on the Canal for drinks and Food.

I've never been to Primrose Hill on NYE but I've seen a couple of YouTube videos and it looks like a nice, friendly atmosphere.

How much time, taking into the crowds should I give myself to walk (with a big group of people) from Say Camden High Street to Primrose Hill? I was considering leaving the pub at around 11:15pm ?

Is that too early? I don't want to spend too much time in the cold but also don't want to miss midnight.

What happens after the Fireworks on Primrose Hill? Do people just disappear from the Hill or do they party on the Hill? I assume it's OK to bring your own food and drinks to the Hill?

Is there anywhere else you can go afterwards? Any insights into NYE in Camden/ Primrose Hill would be great :-)

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

Bump; found it on page 3

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

Can't help with Camden NYE or Primrose Hill but I can say it should be a 20-25 minute walk from camden high street (I'm presuming near tube station) to Primrose Hill (top of said hill).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

You get a lot of the locals going on the hill NYE, my sister has done it a couple of times with her kids. Nothing stopping you taking food and drink and I would enquire about a local pub to go to after, the Queens on regents park road is the nearest but you may need a ticket?

London
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

It's that kind of local aspect that really appeals to me.

I've done the very impersonal crush in central London thing 3 times before.

You've go to get to the good spots opposite the London Eye 4 or 5 hours in advance and then it takes hours to get home as everything moves so slowly. It's not what I consider an enjoyable New Years Eve to be crushed in London and to be honest the Fireworks look so much more impressive on TV then they do in real life.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

Try the Enterprise at Chalk Farm - great music and atmosphere.

Short walk from there over the bridge to Prim Hill.

Have fun.

6. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 22:07
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

Hi everyone,

Glad someone's posted this topic. My girlfriend and I are travelling to London tomorrow (NYE) to see the fireworks. Original plan was to brave the crowds on Embankment but we're very concerned about standing for up to 3-4 hours and not being able to get to a loo in that time!

Another option we thought about is Primrose Hill. We've heard the atmosphere is great but what's the view like? I know it's about a 3-mile radius from the London Eye. Do the fireworks look very distant from Primrose Hill? We're ready to sacrifice an optimum view, but at the same time we don't want them to look too far in the distance either.

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

Stokie,

There are portaloos on embankment (although there were lines later on to use said loos).

Here's a picture of the fireworks from 2009 nye primrose hill!

…blogspot.com/_OXFw9ikY1YQ/…primhill09.jpg

London
Level Contributor
79 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

Are we allowed to post links to external websites?

We decided to meetup in the Ice Wharf in Camden for drink from around 6pm to 11pm and then at 11pm walk from the pub to Primrose Hill as a big group.

I'll be leaving for Camden soon so won't be checking this post but details are on Facebook and Couch Surfing websites for tonight's event, feel free to come join us. We might have some Couch Surfing signs on the table

The Facebook Group is Called New Years Eve in London Group - but for some reason the Facebook doesn't allow me to add new people via mobile phone, only on a computer.

Anyway have a good New Years!!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve in Camden & Primrose Hill for Fireworks

how did it go? would you recommend primrose hill this year?