We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

Hi all,

Title kind of speaks for itself. I'm taking my OH to London for Valentines weekend and intend on proposing to her there. I am flying into Gatwick on the 14th (1pm) and flying back on the 16th (6pm). I've heard that the Victoria/Westminster district is the best option if coming into Gatwick but the hotels are either not great or very pricey. The only one I can see is the DoubleTree by Hilton Westminster and it has mixed reviews (small bathrooms/mould on walls etc).

The other easily accessible option is Tower Bridge area, where again there is a Hilton and a Doubletrees with better reviews. The downside here is that it seems to be a bit away from the main sightseeing and shopping areas. Would it be worth staying here instead?

I don't intend on spending much time in the hotel, but I also don't want to spend a lot of time jumping between tubes etc. Our day would generally involve being out and about sightseeing, back to hotel to get changed etc and then out for dinner and drinks until late. Ideally I'd like a hotel near an area with good bars and restaurants, but also won't involve a great deal of travelling to the main tourist sites. Can anyone recommend a nice, inexpensive hotel or area that might suit my needs?

Thanks!

Borough Market
Flea & Street Markets
Camden Market
Flea & Street Markets,
Covent Garden
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks,
Maltby Street Market
Flea & Street Markets
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

I'm afraid that 'inexpensive' doesn't really mean anything.

Can you please let us know your budget, in Pounds Sterling (£).

Thanks.

Level Contributor
61 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

Apologies I suppose my budget would be around £250 for the 2 nights (£125 per night)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,655 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

Don't worry about being a short distance on the tube from some London sights, wherever you stay this will be the case, so the Tower Bridge area should be fine, close to some famous sights and just a short ride from others.

Wishing you all the best with the proposal.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

Best book the local Travelodge and have dinner in here.

www.closmaggiore.com/

Edited: 18 December 2013, 02:22
Hampshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

I think the Tower Hotel at Tower bridge would fit the bill , nice place with loads of places to eat & drink locally . Check the hotel website www.guoman.com

And look at booking .Com etc for the best price.

6. Re: Valentines Weekend proposal - Hotel recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2014, 05:18