We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London - Day 1

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
London - Day 1

Hello, I will be in London for 8 full days next Summer. I am making plans for 3 full days of excursions outside of London (ie. Stonehenge, Bath etc.), which leaves me with 5 days to concentrate on London. I'm down to planning my itinerary day by day. Here is my walking tour on Day one. Suggestions would be appreciate it.

Start at Trafalgar square early morning and walk down the mall in time to view the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace. Next, walk towards Churchill War Room for a visit, then head to Big Ben and house of Parliament for a tour of the inside and out. Finish my day at Westminster Abby for a tour of the inside. I'm planning on buying my tickets ahead of time or possibly a London Pass. My plan is to give 2 hours for the changing of the guard, including wait time, 1 hour for Churchill War Room, 2 hours each for Parliament and Westminster Abby. That's 7 hours without the walking time plus lunches and breaks, would make a pretty full day.

Must-see sights over the 5 full days. Trafalgar Sq. - Ch. of Guard - Churchill W.R. - Big Ben/Parliament - Westminster Abbey - St. Paul's - The City - Tower of London - Tower Bridge - National Gallery - Piccadilly Circus - Leicester Sq. - Tate Modern - Hyde Park - Regent Park - River Thames cruise.

If time and budget permits: London Eye.

I will be posting Day 2 after the feedback I get from Day 1.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Mike

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: London - Day 1

jdbri,

"no-one here is going to lose any sleep over any of your choices"

I'm so glad to hear that.

Moving on, any ideas about travel insurance or recommendations!

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: London - Day 1

In the UK we have a lot of comparison websites so it's fairly easy for us to shop around. We also have consumer organisations that offer suggestions. Do you have anything similar?

You probably should be looking at medical cover (especially costs if you need to be medically repatriated) and public liability cover. You *may* already have some cover with your home insurance. Also, check your bank card coverages. If you lose a card how easy is it to get a replacement (or access to cash)?

Depending on your valuables, you may want to cover those.

You also should look at cancellation cover. What if something crops up and you are unable to travel? It's a lot of money to lose on flights, etc.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: London - Day 1

BlueLeo - an observation if I may ? It is quite interesting that questions on how to dress always seem (to me anyway) disproportionately high amongst our US visitors. These are split between "Will I be too hot/cold ?", "Will I be allowed in to...?" and "Will I look like an American ?".

I'm not sure why. Maybe it's an assumption of formality for the second, something which might actually be more a concern eating out in smalltown US than it is here - our pub culture means that you can eat quality food in jeans without concern. The third is the most interesting and has been debated on here many times before. The general answer we give is "Don't worry, no one cares".

If it does concern you, understand that jeans are default in London, but shoes tend to be darker than the US and the whole look less "sporty". Shoot me down here, but I also reckon we're less keen on facial hair.

Let me say again, it doesn't matter. London is a safe city - no one cares what you wear. Trust me, we've seen it all before. And we'll have spotted that you're an American anyway ;-)

Mike

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: London - Day 1

Jdbri,

I'm not aware of any comparison insurance sites, but a simple Google search

Produces Allianz and Travelex. Travelex is the cheaper of the two. My aim concern to be truthful is not medical when I'm there. It's just since I'm buying everything so early to get better rates, no one knows what can happen between now and July. That's my concern. I don't want to loose all that money, specially since I' spending it now just to save money.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: London - Day 1

argyle-mikey is not on his own with his thoughts about this. I came to the same conclusion ages ago.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: London - Day 1

Thank you Mike and bevhicklin, I apreciate your responses.

I am planning on eating mainly in pubs and fast food joints. I have my fill of buisness Luncheons and Diners. I'm planning on going to bed no later than 9 PM. My trip is to disover history and visit sights and daytime fun. As I mentioned earlier, I'm travellling alone. Not much to do after 8p or 9p when your by yourself. So higher end restaurants, clubbing and basically nighlife is out. I would never go out in the evening in Tshirt and shorts, even in Phoenix LOL. Maybe that would put things in a better perpective.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,443 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: London - Day 1

Not much to do after 8p or 9p when your by yourself.

==============

Personally I disagree - and I regularly travel solo.

==============

Theatre, concerts or join one of the evening London Walks.

www.londonwalks.com

However, it's your choice.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: London - Day 1

Nice tip Kennydon, that's an excellent idea. An evening walking tour. I didn't even think of that.

Ok, gotta look into that now.

Thak you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,317 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: London - Day 1

Americans tend to be less concerned than Brits about travel insurance for health care costs because most of the sort of Americans who can afford to travel to Europe have private medical insurance and most of these policies will provide some level of cover while abroad. It is worth checking with your insurance company so that you don't duplicate existing insurance cover.

I know Travelex primarily as a currency exchange company. Allianz is a muti-national insurance company (German-based) and should have good quality products. I would expect most other US general insurance companies will have travel insurance policies that will be suitable. My personal preference is for high deductible policies because I'm happy to take some of the risk to make the premium cheaper. YMMV. Make sure to read the fine print about what the policy does and does not cover and that you disclose anything potentially relevant.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
90. Re: London - Day 1

Thank you rbgs,

I didn't think to check of my current car insurance company. It's a huge company, maybe they do. I'll have to call my Agent after the holiday hoopla and ask. I want to take advantage of cheaper prices by booking early, but my company is having some structural changes, although I feel my job is safe, one can never know what could happen. At the same time, if the insurance is too expensive, then it defeats the purpose of booking early, as most of the savings would be eaten up by the premium.

Well have a happy holiday and Merry Christmas for those that celebrate it!

Mike