We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

Good afternoon, My family of four will be traveling to the UK in late June/early July for two weeks. I've been doing much research and reading and thought of a possible itinerary and wanted thoughts on this:

-fly into London, but leave for Bath for two or three days: drive to Stonehenge one day

-drive to Cotswold for two or three days - which town to stay in? Do some walking

-train to York for two days

-train to Edinburgh for two or three days, drive to highlands

-train to London - three days in London

-fly home

I've not decided on what exact things we'll do in each area but as soon as I get a potential idea of our itinerary, I can fill it in and go to specific forums for more in-depth help. I left out was Wales - should I try to make time for that and eliminate another location? I left out the Lake District as I'd like to come back and spend days walking the area - we're big on walking. I also would like to stay in Cornwall, but I think that too will have to be our next trip.

Initial thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,355 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

How do you propose to get to Bath? If you are driving, I certainly would not recommend you to do that immediately upon arrival for your safety and other road users.

As for Wales and the other locations that you mention then you really do not have time to fit them in on this trip.

There are many places that you could base yourselves in the Cotswolds. Personally I like to stay in a village but maybe you could look at Burford, Broadway or Stow-on-the-Wold for busier places.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,168 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

Yup, the joy is in the planning.

You'll have a ball.

Level Contributor
2,504 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

Hi you say a family of four? Children? What are the ages? 3 days in London does that include the day you are flying home ?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

I understand why you want to include everything you want to see because you feel you may not be able to return. I would suggest you pare down your itinerary...skip Scotland and Wales and focus on what you want to seen England or conversely choose Wales or Scotland. Otherwise you'll be running around and feeling rushed.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
585 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

THanks for the input.

We'll take a bus to Bath, leave the driving for when I've had some sleep.

Our kids are 17 and 16, we travel often and are used to moving a a good clip (I'm not one for wandering, or pondering....)

London will be 3 full days, then fly out

I might delete Scotland, and spend more time in the Cotswold or maybe some other location where we can do some good walking.

thanks for the input

Yorkshire Dales...
Destination Expert
for North Yorkshire, Suffolk
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

I would also agree about skipping Scotland.

York is a 2 hour train journey from Kings Cross (or less depending what train you catch). You won't need a car in York itself. It's compact and walkable.

If you want to explore more of North Yorkshire on your second day then a rental car would be a good idea.

Absolutely loads to see and do up here - two National Parks ideal for walking (the Dales and the Moors), Fountains Abbey, North York Moors Railway, Castle Howard, Rievaulx, Whitby etc That should kick off some research!

Do have a look at the North Yorkshire forum too - lots of good advice on there about visiting the area.

London, England
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

Just a quick side note to plan stonehenge and bath for a non solstice day(21st june), or in fact a train/ national express coach that goes anywhere castle cary on the last weekend in june (weds 25th-29th). There is a solstice celebration at stonehenge and glastonbury festival straight after it with lots of road congestion and train clogging at paddington.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,357 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

Hi LovetravelX4. I find a useful way to proceed at this point of planning is to write down each day of the trip and then note where you will spend that night and what you are planning to do on that day, including traveling (and that is the vital point).

Then you can estimate how long the actual moving about will take and see how long you will have in each place.

For instance, when you have said 'two days in York', what does this actually mean? If it means two nights then on day one of that segment when you are 'in York' you are also 'in' the Cotswolds and need to get between the two (which depending where you strop off the car is about a 3.5 hour train trip). On day two you will be 'in York' and on day three traveling to Edinburgh which is 2.5 hours on the train. In the case, you have one complete day in York and maybe one evening and one morning, during which times you need to do mundane things like checking in and out of hotels and managing luggage.

However, if 'two days in York' means two days separated by one night, then you actually have zero days in York, just the time after you arrive one day and the time before you leave the next.

When you set it out as above you get a realistic view of what you are actually planning.

For the record, I don't think your plan as it stands is particularly unrealistic, it is busy though. The places you specify you have left out I completely agree, you don't have time for any of them. Not sure about the part where you drive out of Edinburgh - are you intending this as a day trip? If so, then 'The highlands' might be a bit ambitious.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,920 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

If you like dashing around non-stop then your original plan is possible. However if you like walking then it might be a thought to spend more time in Yorkshire and in the Yorkshire Dales or North York Moors. Both are very picturesque and it might be worth going on line and look at walks in those areas.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beginning Planning - possible itinerary?

The message seems to be the same. Your love of walking is something you can indulge in this country.

Scotland could easily fill 2 weeks of glorious scenery and walks. The same for Wales and the West Country (Somerset/Devon/Cornwall) another holiday.

So yes, stick to central & Northern England and enjoy it.

If you are planning it days and travel first, find out how long it will take between the places you want to see to work out how much of your time it will take. Don't rely on Google times either. That should give you an idea about how long you will get in each place.

Remember we may be small but so are our roads and they will be busy at that time of year. However the bonus should be good weather and long daylight hours.

Edited: 23 December 2013, 13:36