We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
260 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

I was talking to my uncle yesterday who lived in London in the 60's, we were talking about the twelve pubs of Christmas which has got very popular here in recent years (basically a pub crawl with twelve pubs) He was saying that people in London used to do the Circle line crawl where they would get off at every stop and have a drink. However I've just counted the stops and there's 27! Surely nobody could manage such a feat, not to mention all the stairs and swaying trains you'd have to contend with!

So has anyone ever heard of this or has any brave soul ever attempted it?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,138 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

You can try http://monopolypubcrawl.org.uk/

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,603 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

Most people stick to halves - http://www.thecirclelinepubcrawl.co.uk/

A friend walked it for charity (no halves for him) and author Mark Mason also managed it as part of his quest to visit every tube station on the network...on foot...in his book 'Walk the Lines'.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

LOL, I'll just add at this point that I'm definitely not considering doing this! A) I'm a lightweight B) whenever I've attempted to do a pub crawl, I get comfy in the first or second pub and refuse to leave and C) I'm pregnant!

That is serious hardcore pub crawling though, I can't decide whether I'm impressed or not by the people tat manage it!

Level Contributor
3,404 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

Yes, people used to do it for rag week back in the 80s when I was a student in London. Maybe they stuck to halves - dunno. It was usually med students, who're notorious drinkers. And back then the Circle Line was a proper circle line.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,707 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

Just imbibe at your own pace and enjoy.

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

I did for my 19th birthday when I was a student... we stuck to halves I think.

Still we started at Paddington... by the time we got to Kings Cross the girls were drunk, the guys still sober.

By Liverpool Street the girls were crying and the boys were tipsy.

By Temple the girls were being sick and the boys were getting annoyed at them,

By the time we got back to Paddington most of us were asleep.

It was great :o)

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,626 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

I also did this as a student (at the LSE) in the early 80's, although our version seemed to include drinking on the tube. As I recall, we spent more time doing that than going to pubs. We went round twice, the main problem being loo stops.

All impossible now of course, probably just as well...

Mike

London
Level Contributor
838 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

We did ours on a Saturday (or maybe a Sunday) and struggled around the Cannon Street / Mansion House area as not a lot of pubs were open.... so we had to double up when we did find a pub.

You don't have long at each stop.... I think we gave ourselves a 15 minute limit *hic

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
16,030 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

Many years ago a group of my friends attempted the Monopoly pub crawl. They didn't complete it and one ended up in A&E.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for St. Barthelemy
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
530 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anyone heard of/done the Circle line pub crawl?

I did the Monopoly Pub Crawl about 20 years ago for a Stag Day. We came across two other groups doing it on the same day but with slightly different routes.

In one pub an American couple asked what we were doing. When it was explained we were doing the Monopoly Board Pub Crawl the women said "Gee, you have all the same street names in London as in New York ?" to which her husband patiently responded "No love, they have their own version of the board in the UK"........

Edited: 24 December 2013, 13:52