We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rethought First Day

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Rethought First Day

We wll land early Monday morning at Heathrow terminal 5. We will take the tube to the Holborn station. Walk to our hotel, the Grange Holborn and store our luggage since I am sure our room will not be ready yet.

We will stroll over to the British Museum and wander through it for several hours. The cross the street to the Museum Tavern to have a pint or two and eat either fish & chips and / or bangers and mash. Then go down to Tea and Tattle for some afternoon tea and scones.

Then it should be time to go back to the hotel and check in. We are in our 69's and think this plan is doable and not too taxing on us.

Texas
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rethought First Day

You leave Monday?!? How exciting! Enjoy your trip and please come back with a trip report. In 6 months the Mr and I will have the same pleasure! :)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,141 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rethought First Day

How are you going to have room for tea and scones after you have just finished fish and chips (or bangers and mash)?

I'd say if the weather cooperates, take a walk outdoors. This will help reset your clock.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,941 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rethought First Day

I've never heard of that pub, so I'm not sure about the food, but I will say that pubs are not renowned generally for the quality of their fish and chips. You need a proper chippy really.

Regardless of that, you'll be too stuffed with carbohydrates to have both a large pub lunch and a cream tea - save the scones for another day.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,420 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rethought First Day

The pub is okay but don't expect fish caught that morning. Your idea makes sense but, weather permitting, I would spend some more time outside, Maybe have a cuppa and a sandwich or cake at the cafe in Russell Square before exploring and then have a lightish meal with your pint.

Edited: 24 December 2013, 21:20
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Rethought First Day

I thought that you were going to London in August. Are you arriving next Monday or do you mean that a Monday in August is your first day?

Level Contributor
252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rethought First Day

Ignore the fish and chips and book an afternoon tea at one of the hotels.

Take your pick:

afternoontea.co.uk/top-afternoon-tea-award-w…

The Langham is probably the most convenient given your hotel location. Its very nice!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,034 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rethought First Day

In London, I would not choose to eat fish and chips at a pub unless I were either overtired and emotional or exceptionally Hank Marvin.

The North Sea in Leigh Street will be a much better option than eating frozen fillets and factory chips.

Level Contributor
252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rethought First Day

There are a couple of ok-ish fish and chip shops.

Poppies on Hanbury St and The Fish and Chip Shop in Islington.

http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk/

http://www.thefishandchipshop.uk.com/

I was at Poppies yesterday! Cod was fine.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rethought First Day

I wouldn't advise having fish and chips followed by afternoon tea under normal circumstances, let alone when jetlagged and then starting to flag by the time you sit down for the tea. Perhaps fish and chips for lunch though it's generally overrated in pubs, (it's ok but not special enough to be earth planning), and leave the tea fior another day,

Seattle
Level Contributor
156 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rethought First Day

My family went to the Museum Tavern a few years ago when my teenager hit the wall in the British Museum and needed food RIGHT NOW. It was not bad but it was not memorable. If I were planning eight months in advance as you are, I would certainly pick a better pub.

My husband lost his hat there so let me know if you find it.