We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at The Savoy

New York, NY
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at The Savoy

I know that this subject has been addressed quite often but I can't seem to find a clear cut answer, maybe because there isn't one.

I'm going to be staying at The Savoy for a couple of nights in January. I've been upgraded to a River View Jr. Suite which I gather comes complete with a butler.

How does one handle tipping at this property? With porters, room service and so on, I usually tip when service is provided. An envelope is usually left for housekeeping at the end of stay. I don't anticipate a need to do anything different here. I guess what I am really wondering about is the butler. When is the appropriate time to tip? Any advice would be appreciated.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at The Savoy

Do the same for the butler, but he'll probably be there to help you when you leave, so give him his envelope personally.

It's not such an issue here, so nobody will expect a tip, but at high end hotels it's more common to leave gratuities for good service.

Don't feel obliged to do the American 20% though.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,415 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at The Savoy

The Savoy used to (don't know if it's still the case) add a 5% optional service charge to bills, which is shared among all the staff, and so no further gratuities are required.

Butler service includes pressing 2 items, I think any more will be charged as Room Service Laundry.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
139 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at The Savoy

Thank you both.

4. Re: Tipping at The Savoy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 December 2013, 20:05
5. Re: Tipping at The Savoy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 05:17