We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Bloomsbury to York

:)
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Driving Bloomsbury to York

I have been studying the map this afternoon, along with theaa. Which do you think is the best route to York from Bloomsbury, the A1 or M1?

I appreciate any information beyond what I have found so far.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

As it is much easier to get to the start of the M1 instead of the A1, I would go M1.

From Euston - west along Euston Road/Marylebone Road. Left up Edgware Road (A6) to Brent Cross and the start of the M1

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

I also would take the M1 ( I detest the A1), it's a 6 lane( three each way) highway with no slow spots such as roundabouts and slower speed limits as on the A1.

The problem with the M1, however, is that if there is an accident or other blockage then it can take forever to get going again or to get off at the next exit.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,155 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

Another vote for the M1 although I would take a slightly different route from Euston. The Edgware Road (A5 not A6) is always snarled so I would head along The Euston Road and then go up the A41 which is slightly less snarled. You have to turn left by Baker Street station and then immediately right and right again onto Gloucester Place which is the A41. It's well signposted. Depending on where in Euston you are starting from it may well be easier and quicker to cut across the top of Regents Park to join the A41 at Swiss Cottage.

:)
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

Thank you all to the question posed. I will be taking the M1, as advised.

Hope all goes well, as expected.

Your insight and advice has been invaluable!

~jdj

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

I'm going to be contrary and recommend the A1. As already mentioned, if there is a problem like an accident there are more alternatives

The M1 currently suffers from severe roadworks between Hemel and Luton (on which you will undoubtedly be delayed for at least 20-30 minutes) and heavy congestion is often a problem around J24 (and some other areas)

Traffic on the A1 is lighter and there aren't so many major roadworks at present

It's also no more difficult to get to the bottom of it; in fact if you take the A41 route as suggested (which you should, it's miles quicker than the Edgware Road) it's arguably easier

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

well im going against the flow of traffic but i use the A1 if im going north to south or vice versa. i just prefer the drive anyway, though you have to stay awake for the occasional roundabout..the couple of times ive tried to M1 it was a nightmare. Head for Brent Cross and you can pick it up from there

london
Level Contributor
946 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

I'd also do A1, the scenery is far better, less jams and it's more of a driving experience than the m1 which for my money is very dull driving. Only snag about A1 is that it's littered with speeed cameras

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

From Bloomsbury I'd take a cab/tube to Kings Cross/St Pancras and get the train.

But that was until the RMT Signallers started throwing their weight around!

9. Re: Driving Bloomsbury to York

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 22:19