We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Liverpool to London by car

Boston...
5 posts
Save Topic
Liverpool to London by car

Hello Londoners and those who know loads about London.

I understand everyone is going to tell me I'm crazy to drive from Liverpool to London but train tickets are going to be rather expensive as we did not book them in advance (last minute trip) and I love to drive. We have a gas tank friendly car and I am used to driving on congested northeast U.S. roads. Three and a half hour skiing day trips are a weekly occurrence in my family.

We are planning on leaving Aintree, Liverpool early A.M. on Monday the 30th, I hope to be on the road by 7. Our final destination will be a Mayfair area hotel. I've already checked and the congestion charge is not in effect.

Will an earlier start time work to our advantage?

Is Monday traffic around London particularly bad?

Should I expect it to take 4+ hours?

Other than "Don't drive to London" or "Take the train" does any one have any other sound advice that may be helpful?

Thanks,

Joe

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,613 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Liverpool to London by car

Use the route planner www.viamichelin.com

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,860 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Liverpool to London by car

Consider breaking the journey by rail. There are fares from Liverpool to Stafford for £13 per person; singles from Stafford to London Euston are available for £23 per person.

Megabus coach fares are available for travel on 30 December for £15 per person.

The weather is expected to be poor, with heavy rain at times especially as you travel further south. Route planners are available at www.rac.co.uk and www.theaa.com

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Liverpool to London by car

Use the M6 Toll Road to avoid Birmingham £7.50

Traffic is heavy as you approach Birmingham

Use the Traffic Announcement TA facility on the car radio to warn of accidents etc

If using the M57 to link up with the M56 then M6 then try to get over the Runcorn Bridge before 0700 after that it becomes congested,

Instead consider M57 M62 M6 but again getting away before 0700 pays dividends , but even consider setting off after 0900 to avoid peak times if you don't need to be in London at a certain time. You will, be setting off in the light and traffic will be lighter. Between 0730 and 0900 traffic can be at its heaviest on the M6 M62 and M57 and M56 around Liverpool and North of Birmingham

Yes it will take more than four hours

Which part of London are you heading for?

For North London use M6/M1Approach but for West London the M40 can be a bit quieter.

Don't expect to make 70mph all the way in some places you might find yourself stationary and crawling bumper to bumper.

Allow plenty of time and you will be fine

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Liverpool to London by car

If you are worried about the price of a train ticket, where are you planning to park in Mayfair?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Liverpool to London by car

Whose car is it? If it's a hire car then return it, if it's someone else's are you insured to drive it?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,936 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Liverpool to London by car

If it is a hire car return it

Why?

It seems to me that they have decided that the train is too expensive, and their mind is made up to drive.

They just want to know the best way to go about it

M57 M62 M6 then M42 and M40 or

M57 M62 M6 then M1 would be my suggestions.

If there are two or more in a car with luggage it makes sense to drive IMHO door to door

I have made almost exactly the same journey lots of times, most times I have had an uneventful journey , got held up a bit around Birmingham but thats what you expect and once or twice had horrendous delays, but that's the chance you take travelling by any mode of transport these days,

Its only a couple of hundred miles and the OP is used to driving long distances in heavy traffic.

Further tip

When driving along M62 to link up with M6 you need to move over to the inside, left hand lane in good time.

As you pass Junction 8 with IKEA on your right hand side if you are not already on the left hand side of the motorway start moving over as you pass under the bridge at Junction 9 you should be in the lane second from the left ready to leave the M62 for the M6 South signposted Birmingham.

The motorway can be congested and slow moving here especially the outside lanes heading into Manhester so moving across whilst crawling can be difficult.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 09:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Liverpool to London by car

When travelling on the section between Birmingham and London I have frequently found that the M40 route is a quieter and more pleasant drive than the M1 route

Edited: 28 December 2013, 10:06
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Liverpool to London by car

"We are planning on leaving Aintree, Liverpool early A.M. on Monday the 30th, I hope to be on the road by 7. Our final destination will be a Mayfair area hotel. I've already checked and the congestion charge is not in effect. "

That might be true about the congestion charge when you arrive in London, but I can't see when you plan to leave London, which might be a day when the charge is in effect.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,655 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Liverpool to London by car

and please look at post 4

where do you plan to park ?

10. Re: Liverpool to London by car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 January 2016, 14:06