We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

We will be in London in September with our 3 children (14, 13, 11) and would love to take them for a typical English afternoon tea. I've checked out the Ritz and Browns Hotel etc but they seem absolutely overpriced and I was wondering if anyone knows of a decent one at maybe a lesser known, less expensive but still nice place to give them this experience?

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

There is a TALF tea meet on 20 July at The Wolseley, which is a restaurant rather than a hotel, but I will post a report after our visit, so look out for that. Tea at The Wolseley is £18.50 for a full tea, £7.75 for a cream tea. It's on Piccadilly, next to The Ritz. http://www.thewolseley.com/

The Cadogan Hotel on Sloane Street offers afternoon tea for £19.50, but I have yet to try it. http://www.cadogan.com/

The Orangery (next to Kensington Palace) is popular with families, and is in a lovely setting. http://www.digbytrout.co.uk/units/kensington/

Richoux (various locations) does cream teas and afternoon teas from £7.95 to £14.50 (or £26.50 for tea for two). http://www.richoux.co.uk/

Finally, you could check out Bramah Museum of Tea and Coffee. Afternoon tea there is £9, or a cream tea is £7. www.bramahmuseum.co.uk/tea_room/index.htm

Orangery, Richoux, & Bramah Museum are all casual. Wolseley is a bit smarter. The hotels tend to require 'smart casual' dress.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,237 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

Additionally, if you're willing to splurge a bit, a TALFer has recommended tea at The Landmark hotel on another thread. Tea is £22.50 per person. landmarklondon.co.uk/dining/afternoon_tea.htm

The thread is here: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k70421…

And if you can really splurge, the best tea we've had thus far has been at The Lanesborough - £28 (including tip).

You can read my tea report here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k58540…

Finally, the below thread contains other recommendations, and will lead you to yet more threads on this subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k49012…

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

I treated the wife and her mum to tea at the Savoy. Seemed an OK choice and it fitted well with their other plans that day.

I think it was about £25 a head. They really enjoyed it. Pianist tickling the ivories in the background and a good selection of sweet and savory items on the 3 tier tray.

Oh and nice choice of tea.

Service was good too. Mostly East European young ladies I undertsand! So if you're expecting a Butler style old school authenticity then perhaps avoid.

Cheers.

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
397 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

Wow... thanks guys... what a choice! I shall look them all up and try and make a decision now!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
318 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

We were at the Lanesborough Tea & agree with Theartgirl, it really is the best - remember too that although the teas seem pricey you probably won't want either lunch or dinner on that day if you have a good breakfast & then the tea.

Another idea is for tea at Fortnum & Masons (also In Picadilly) - we like the Fountain resturant downstairs best - it tends to get less crowded than the upstairs rooms.

Enjoy!

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

Up todate.

F&Ms look like a Builders merchant site at the back

nice if you like that sort of thing. Go up one floor if you must go there.

Landmark I pass on this hotel never stayed there

food once was good now adequate . Lovrly r atrium one really beautiful room with superb ceiling not used now?

Savoy Hotel Has yet to recover from years of poor management from previous owners. closed a world famous most successful restaurant with overlooking view of gardens. - replaced it with an eye sore guess what. Right got it in one - overlooking the car park entrance - looks like up market Mc Donalds if that is not oxymoronic.

Top staff all migrated to where ? Ritz including the pianist apart from yeaterday when his standin was a deligtful looking lady played devinely A nightingale sang in Berkeley Sq { see refrain for reason] 2nd verse i seem to recall] }

Lanesboro built as a hospital stayed there as patient [ i even endowed a bed as vg clinical attention saved my life] still looks like a hospital albeit an up market one.

All in all Ritz seldom equalled never excelled. .

up to date 15th July 2006

Good luck Gerlis

Dublin
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

A recent article in the magazine section of the Independent newspaper describes the radical changes which have been effected in the Ritz's dining menu. Apparently, the food is now of the highest calibre and there's an adventurous executive chef who cooks exotic dishes to order (when asked to do so by some of his clients who are afficionadoes of good food).

Glad that you were saved in the building which is now the Lanesboro Gerlis.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

Insightful how kind what one might expect from someone from Dublin's fair city. Wonder how many readers know it enjoys such a high standard of living equated with quality of life.. I might even go there if they will have me.

Ritz Restaurant - like many UK people after I have had to work

until June 1st each year just to pay taxes my modest means do not permit me to ask of Chef John Willimas to oook a speciality just for me. I am perfectly content with the set meal . cost about £7 more than the tea. far better value .

Indeed the food is excellent . - for once I agree withe Independent which used to be an excellent paper.

Here I come Dublin.

Gerlis

px
london
Level Contributor
855 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

my fave for tea is the Dukes hotel just up from st james palace, its tucked away which is why i like it less frenetic i think than some of the other venues but again personal view.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon Tea at a nice hotel?

Hotel been sold to a property developer Gerlis