We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed with Transport Card

australia
Level Contributor
264 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed with Transport Card

Hi all,

I need some help with which type of transport card is going to be suitable for us for our travel in London.

We are staying near Canary Wharf, but only for 1 week, but then will be travelling to Blackpool and Liverpool (this will be by car). Just wondering which transport card is going to be the best. I have read on TA about a National Express card that gives you 2 for 1 deals, but is there a card (Oyster?) that I can use on bus, tube, rail, ferry? etc. We are seniors, but not sure if that makes any difference. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed with Transport Card

Where have you booked to stay near Canary Wharf, please? A stay near Island Gardens isn't quite the same as one near Limehouse (with respect to transport options), and some places that refer to themselves as Canary Wharf aren't near the station.

'I have read on TA about a National Express card that gives you 2 for 1 deals, but is there a card (Oyster?) that I can use on bus, tube, rail, ferry? etc.' National Express operate coaches. You're thinking of National Rail-issued paper Travelcards which may be used for the two for one offers; seven day Travelcards issued on Oyster (as sold by TfL) are not valid for the offers.

If you haven't read the two traveller articles about the two for one offers and NR paper Travelcards, please do so. The articles are linked under Top Questions About London at the right of the forums posts.

All Travelcards allow unlimited use on the Underground, Overground, DLR and National Rail services in the paid for zones plus buses in all six zones. There is no NR station at Heathrow airport, so if you will arrive in London at that airport you will need to use PAYG on Oyster or pay cash single fare to travel to your destination in London.

Please let us know if you will arrive in London during the week or at the weekend and the location you plan to book the car for your trip north. Let us know as well if you've booked a one way hire to leave the car in Liverpool or will return to London.

australia
Level Contributor
264 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed with Transport Card

Thank you for your assistance. Our friends have organised our stay in London plus our car transport to Blackpool. I am just unsure of the best option for a travel card in London. Most of our other transport is by private car or organised transfer. This also applies for our transport from Heathrow to London. I will read the articles that you have suggested. Thank you

3. Re: Help needed with Transport Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:18